Chapter 43

Cole's eyebrows furrowed at the statement as pure confusion overtook his features, he was about to say something before Emma continued.

"Andrew's mum adopted me when I was 12. I was, I- I-" Emma closed her eyes and took in another breath.

"I was raped." She finally said, tears had already clouded her eyes and she looked down avoiding Cole's gaze and forcing herself to go on.

"My dad died when I was about 7, that was when my mum turned into a junkie, she started sending me out to buy groceries and stuff when I turned about 9 or 10 because she was always either drunk or high. I never went to elementary school or anything like that cause I always had to take care of my mum.

Then when I was thirteen... I was coming back from the grocery store and a man offered me a ride, I was naïve and didn't know much so I got in his van... H-He d-drugged me and r-raped me..."

Emma took a deep breath, she could feel Cole's heated gaze on her and forced herself not to look up, desperate not to see the look in his eyes.

"Andrew's mum happened to pass by his house and noticed something odd so she got in and managed to fight the man off because he was still slightly drunk, before calling the cops. She then legally adopted me...

M-My m-mum was t-taking t-to a rehab and then to the r-resting home, I still h-have to see her from time to time and she constantly reminds me of how w-w-w-worthless and r-r-repulsive I am of how much she h-hates me because she says I was the reason my d-dad d-died."

The quiet sobs that escaped her lips choked down her words as she curled back against the coach, subconsciously pushing herself away from Cole.

She felt like she was reliving the moment, feeling all the invincible dirt coat her body once more, as though anything she touched would immediately go rotten due to the wounds that had opened up, filling her whole body with a sickening scale,

Cole's heart shattered all over again. He took in deep, shaky breaths, trying to stabilize himself before he could attempt to sedate her. He reached out and wrapped his arm round her causing her to flinch and only making him pull her closer.

He honestly felt like crying, it felt as though it was his fault, as though he could have gone back in time and fixed everything, like it was his job to protect her and he failed. And the thought that all those years she had suffered alone, not voicing out anything but still managing to keep a genuine smile on her face, just worried him more.

Was she sick? How could one be genuinely happy after all that? Or maybe he was just the one sick, maybe he was just the one who felt as though ones tears from their nightmares should keep them from smiling at their dreams.

The Lord is near the broken-hearted and saves the crushed spirit.

He didn't know how he remembered that verse but he did, that's when he realized, he couldn't take away her pain, but he knew that she believed that God could, and he knew that Christianity stated that God talked to them through the Bible, and if God was the only one that could heal her wounds, he was going to try and remember all the verses he had read so far, even if they only added confusion to his aspect of belief.

Give me words. He didn't know who he was praying to or what deity he was asking, but at that point, he believed that it would answer his prayers.

And it did.

"Emma. I'm not really good at this and I'm trying my best to keep it together...You gave me your Bible to read, and it said that you are wonderfully and fearfully made, which is quite obvious may I add... It said that you are made in God's image, and from all the things I've read so far, God is pretty awesome so you being his daughter automatically makes you incredibly amazing as well.

Don't you remember what Jeremy said? The path of the righteous shall prevail, and Emma you're the most righteous person I've ever met. You radiate this light that is just filled with so much warmth and care and I have honestly never felt anything like it.

You believe everyone has a chance and everyone is loved by God and your love for this God is something so huge and filled with so much faith in him, from what I've read, God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love him.

You're so strong... You still smile Emma, so many people who have been through what you have, don't even have the ability to smile anymore, but you still do. The only reason your mum says those things about you is because she's insecure, she goes through a lot of things and she doesn't know who to blame it on so she puts the blame on you because you're the complete opposite of her.

Don't mind what she says, what anyone says. You're so beautiful and sweet and kind and your light literally radiates everywhere you go. Emma you can always ask people to help you if there is something wrong, everyone knows you're strong and just because you ask for help doesn't make you any less.

Emma just focus on what you love, focus on God, because you said it, even though you suffer here, he will always vindicate you, forget about what people think, they don't determine you. Just keep your eyes set on the prize and keep pushing. You're Emma...You're the child of God...And because of that... nothing can destroy you."

He let out a breath, he didn't know where those words had come from, but he was grateful they came. He knew they were true, he knew every single word held truth, but he was still struggling to believe it, not regarding Emma, but regarding himself.

He could feel the change in the air surrounding them and he took in a deep breath engulfed by it, that changed that seemed to always appear and disappear, that calming change.

The place had become quiet and dark and Cole didn't know if Emma had slept off or not, he hoped not because he didn't think he could repeat those words again. They felt like a powerful spell being cast that could not be said twice for fear of them affecting him more than they already did.

"Cole. Thank you. Thank you so much." Emma said answering Cole's question. Cole could hear the mixture of emotions in her soft voice and they blew him away.

Just those four words seemed to make his entire mood shift, relieved that he had helped... Both Emma, and himself.

A smile formed on his lips as he looked down to see her eyes closed and a small smile on her face that held certain calm.

"No problem." He whispered and placed a ghost of a kiss on her head, the fear that she would suddenly shatter in his arms still there.

He felt her breathing steady and small snores exit her lips causing his smile to widen as his arms that were wrapped round her, pulled her body closer to his.

Letting out a satisfied sigh, he closed his eyes, finally letting the sleep overwhelm him.