Chapter 16

Emma woke up to the sound of her annoying alarm clock, weeks had passed and today was the day she dreaded, today was the day she had to resume work. She was grateful that she had a job that managed to pay her bills and all, but nothing good comes easy.

She had her devotions and brushed her teeth, quickly took a shower before changing into a yellow sundress and a pair of brown, knee high, boots, getting one of her black cardigans and tying it round her waist just in case it rained. She was too lazy and already in a bad mode to put on any form of makeup, so she just applied lip balm on her lips before heading out.

The weather was quite cool today and she let out a sigh. How nice, Everything is sunny yet work still seems to cloud my day. She began walking towards school and looked out for Angel who was meant to meet her on the way. They finally spotted it each other and continued their walk.

"Hey, hey, hey." Angel said in a singsong voice. Emma just let out a small tired smile and hummed in response. 

"Well someone is awfully happy today." Angel said rolling her eyes at her friend's lack of enthusiasm only earning a smile and sigh from Emma. "Someone was up all night studying this dumb statistics and now haveing to resume work today." She said, letting out another frustrated sigh.

"I thought you wanted to be a psychologist? Aren't you meant to be reading on Social Interaction and stuff?" Angel said genuinely confused and Emma let out a small tired laugh. 

"Statistics is also compulsory Angel." She said as though wishing it wasn't true.

Angel slung her arm around Emma's shoulder, making an effort to cheer her up. "Oh well. Look at the positive sides! You finally get to earn money now that you've resumed work and we only have like a few more years to graduate then we're off!" She said, pulling Emma closer, causing Emma to laugh at her enthusiasm and wrap her free hand round Angel's waist as they continue their walk.

They finally arrived at school and went their separate ways.

Emma walked into her first class, already dreading the subject. Let's go Biology. 

She entered the class just in time to see everyone settling down as she scurried to the far end of the row trying to avoid much attention. The lecturer said a brief greeting and murmurs were heard as a response.

"Okay. Today we will be talking about the parts of the brain. You probably did this in  your high schools so this is just going to be a brief lesson." Emma sighed in relief at the mention of a brief lesson. Thank God.

"The cerebrum, the large, outer part of the brain, controls reading, thinking, learning, speech, emotions and planned muscle movements like walking. It also controls vision, hearing and other senses. The cerebrum is divided two cerebral hemispheres: left and right....."

The voice of the lecturer seemed to slowly fade away as everything began to turn a darker shade, she felt her head fall to a side and quickly shot her eyes open, realizing that she had been dozing off.

She sighed and re-positioned herself on the chair, fighting to stay awake but could feel herself going in and out of consciousness.

She heard loud shuffling and saw that everyone had began to leave the class. Just great. I have learnt nothing at all. She packed her books and headed out the door to the next class, still in her dozy state, one of her books fell from her hand and she sighed as she picked it up.

She rose and looked up to be met by a warm smile from across the room, she couldn't control it as her face heated up and she sent him a nervous smile back, her blush only increasing as he sent her a wink before disappearing into the crowd and allowing her to let out the shaky breath she was holding.

Cole.

He made her feel.... a feeling that she couldn't quite pinpoint., she was used to so many other emotions, some she didn't quite like, but this one, this one she got every time his gaze was on her, it was new.

It felt as though a little drummer boy was playing a beat in her chest every time she saw him, it was like there was an acceleration in her heartbeat but then it would calm down and constantly skip a beat at each glance he gave her.

She was quite well at figuring out people, but he was a puzzle, a puzzle she wouldn't mind spending her whole life trying to figure it out, as long as that puzzle was him. Everything about him was a mystery, he was like a flame, and unfortunately for her, she was the moth drawn to it.

Of course he was attractive, even a blind person would feel the power of his presence, he carried himself as though he could care less about what anyone on Earth said and he looked as though he could squash someone's skull with the joining of his two fingers and not even care about it. 

He was dark but Emma felt like she could see the glow hidden in his eyes.

She sighed and walked into the next class, unlike her last one, this one had people's voices filling the room as they chattered aimlessly.

She checked her time and noticed that she had come fairly early and just to her 'luck', she was in the same period with the person she had been avoiding, as though reading her mind, he appeared in front of her.

"Hey Emma." Jake said, scratching the back of his neck nervously. Emma's face just fell into a more tired look, like his voice triggered her sleep senses. 

She just stared at him blankly, both not knowing what to say and waiting for him to go on.

She already knew that he knew that she knew what went on with him and Rose. Angel had told Andrew and Andrew had decided to take it up in his hands not so gently lecture Jake on how he had messed up.

"Look. I'm really sorry if you're mad at the whole Rose and I thing.... But the thing is, you and I weren't even dating so....." Jake trailed off waiting for her reaction. 

Emma just looked at him, getting more tired with each word that left his lips and causing Jake's frustration to grow as he let out an annoyed sigh.

"At least say something." A slight edge was in his voice and that only caused Emma to sag her shoulders more and let out a lazy sigh of her own. 

"I'm really tired right now, so.... Bye?" She said before she turned her back on his astonished look and walked over to the last seat.

She folded her arms on her table, rested her head against them and closing her eyes, letting the sleep finally takeover.