Chapter 49

The darkness surrounded him, numbing his body and pulling his soul deeper into the floating pit of oblivion.

He couldn't see any part of his body but could only feel as his breath hopelessly drowned deeper, causing his throat to block out any form of oxygen.

He could feel the atmosphere thicken and could hear the faint taunting whispers that began to cloud his mind. He felt the life slowly drain from him but he knew he wasn't dead....yet.

His throat hitched and as much as he wanted to let out a scream of pure dread, all he could feel was his innermost parts languidly and painfully liquefy at each attempt.

The scattered and mocking whispers got louder and he felt a deep pain as though a specially filed and sterilized knife began to slice him open from the inside-out.

The voices hurriedly chastised him suffocating him more with the brutal fiendishness in their inhuman voices.

'You're trapped! No one can save you now! You'll slowly and painfully seize to exist and then join in the unbearable pain and pardonless torture of the never ending flames of hell that you always knew you would end up in. There's no hope for you, you had your chance, now you pay.'

A louder voice said, causing Cole's breath to become more forced, feeling like each intake of air would be his last.

"Emma," He choked out.

That was all the light he knew.

At that moment, he couldn't think of any other thing closest to beauty but her name, hoping desperately that it would somehow save him.

A venomous and mocking laughter was heard as it echoed through the atmosphere and crawled its way into Cole's ears, ringing louder than ever and threatening to burst his eardrums that were already damaged by the snarls surrounding him.

He could see the formation of numerous glowing red eyes surrounding the dark void and he could hear the clashes of chains that seemed to draw him deeper into the immense gloom, he felt a sharp pain shoot through him and he looked down to see his ankles bound with chains and his wrist drawn upwards, hooking to the chain that rapped itself tightly round his neck only making it harder to breath. He struggled against it, attempting to loosen it in some way but only causing the chains to mold into his flesh as he let out a pain filled scream.

"Emma...." He whispered once more as thick pools of tears rolled down his cheek.

The devilish laughter filled the air once more.

'You call onto Emma as though she has the power to save you, meanwhile you rejected the only one who did! You embraced the flesh and snarled at the only saving grace you had, and now that you see the consequences you still call out to a mere mortal! It's too late now, no redemption for you anymore! You had your chance, now you pay!'

He looked up and immediately regretted it. The demonic eyes that surrounded had grown claws coated with scales that emitted a smoke colored with the odor of decaying flesh.

He closed his eyes, each intake of breath only sent a rushing fire through his lungs, clouding his memory, until Andrew's words flashed through his mind

"That small voice that just seems choked up in the midst of all your worries, it's there, it has always been there, it's just waiting for you to believe."

Cole's eyes remained shut, tightening them as he tried his best to block out all the screeching and clawing surrounding him, trying his best to dig out that tiny voice that he had buried.

Then he heard it.

Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

The words rang through his head, giving him some kind of energy.

"Jesus?" He whispered only to be answered by silence as the taunting laughter had stopped and a furious snarl took its place.

'Shut up! He won't help you! He gave you so many chances! You're mine now!'

Cole's whole body shivered as he felt a certain buzz run through his every nerve. His eyes flashed open and the last tear slowly slid down his burning cheek.

"I believe. Jesus, I believe."

A sudden bright light hit his face, causing him to tilt his head away from the source of its illumination.

The snarls and growls where replaced by screeches of pain, and even with his face turned away,

Cole could feel the unexplainable warmth that surrounded his body and could see the patches of darkness that surrounded him, be replaced by an unspeakably radiance.

Cole slowly turned just in time to see as a comically large hand, scarred with a hole through its palm, descending towards Cole and gesturing for him to take it.

Cole didn't hesitate as he placed his hand in it and let out a sigh at its odd delicateness.

He felt as the shackles that tightened his body fell to the ground and he was slowly lifted into the eternal light.