Chapter 19

Emma walked out her front door sighing. 

She had woken up to her alarm clock, had her devotions and dressed in a long maroon sweater with black, slightly baggy shorts and a pair of dark red flip-flops, and now she was out the door, walking to begin her classes.

She didn't sleep late yesterday and she even had a nice dream, but the days were flying by and she was already counting down for the day that she had to suck in all the courage she had and face her problems.

Angel had come down with the flu and Andrew had stayed with her., Emma had badly wanted to stay but they wouldn't allow her knowing that she was going to use it as an excuse to not go for most of her classes. Why isn't the road to success smooth? Emma forced a smile, trying her best to think of the positive.

At least she was getting closer and closer to graduate, then she could finally apply for a job more related to her future ambition than being stuck with learning things she felt won't help her in anyway.

Time passed as she walked down the street and she could suddenly feel the presence of someone behind her. She paused and took a deep breath before slowly looking back. Nothing.

She kept on walking, much more slowly this time and alert of everything that surrounded her. Some minutes past and nothing showed up, causing her to relax her shoulders a bit and she continued walking at her normal pace.

As though sensing her relaxation, a figure suddenly appeared in front of her, saying a casual 'Boo' not even bothering to yell it but still startling Emma as she jumped back and placed her hand on her chest, trying to catch her breath.

A deep chuckle was heard and Emma looked up, a smile immediately illuminating her face as she shook her head at the giant figure in front of her,

"Is this like your day job or something?" She said as she playfully punched him on the shoulder which didn't seem to budge him from his stance. 

"Maybe." His grey eyes danced in enjoyment as Cole eyed her, amused by her shaken state. 

"Why you walking all alone?" He said frowning and tapping the top of her head as he met her steps. 

Emma laughed and rolled her eyes. "Why are you even walking?" She said raising one eyebrow up at him.

"A man can't walk in peace? That and I came to ask you for my cereal." He responded folding his arms and looking down at her as her smile widened and she just shook her head, the smile on her face suddenly turning into a grin as she looked back up at him. 

"Oh it's right..." She put her hand in her bag as though about to remove something. Cole waited, not expecting what she did next.

"Here" Emma said as she opened her mouth and pointed into its direction. Cole chuckled and rolled his eyes before peeping into her mouth. 

"I honestly don't see anything but cavities." He said shrugging his shoulders, a grin now playing on his own lips.

"Hahaha. Very funny." Emma said, failing as she tried to stifle a giggle 

"Come on. I skipped breakfast for this." Cole insisted pouting his lips at her. 

"Well I also skipped breakfast so we are practically even." Emma said in a matter of fact way. 

"No wonder you look so grumpy." Emma let out a short laugh at his comment. 

"I think it's mostly cause I really don't want to go to work today." She said shaking her head.

Cole's frown returned at that statement before a grin spread on his lips. 

"Then just tell them you're not coming." He said sticking his hands in his pocket and shrugging as though the solution was right in front of her. 

"What do you mean I should tell them I'm not coming?" Emma asked looking at him as though he just sprouted eight heads.

"Well you're a psychologist right? Therefore you can do all that Professor X stuff." The look of confusion never left Emma's face as she looked up at him for an explanation, 

"Charles Xavier?" She remained quiet and shook her head.

Cole's eyes widened in disbelief at the fact that she had no clue on what he was saying. 

"The X-men...." He said trailing of, expecting her to understand but with no effort as she still looked at him blackly.

"Are you telling me you don't know The X-men" He said, a look of amusement now replaced his smirk as he looked down at the now blushing Emma who had lowered her head in a poor attempt to hide the blush.

He placed his thumb and index finger slightly round her chin and lifted her face up to meet his eyes, offering her a small smile.

Their eyes met and she smiled back at him, at the spot of that smile, It was as though he wasn't in control of his tongue anymore, and the words poured out of his lips before he could stop it.

"Would you like to come over and watch the movie at my place later?" His fingers were still on her chin and she took a deep breath trying to control her beating pulse.

They had stopped walking and were just standing in the middle of the streets, forgetting every other thing that surrounded them. 

"Yes." Emma said when she finally caught her breath. Cole's smile widened just by those three letters. Wow God. Just wow. You sure turn things round in the most unexpected ways. Her smile widened at the mere thought, then it suddenly fell causing. Cole's frown to return and he let go of her chin.

"What's wrong?" Cole asked as they continued their walk. "I forgot I have work this afternoon." She said letting out a sad and slightly annoyed sigh. Cole's shoulders relaxed and a grin washed over his face causing Emma to squint up at him.

"What are you thinking about?" She asked cautiously. 

"You work at that Green something bookshop some blocks across the street right?" Cole asked, the grin never leaving his face and only turning cannier.

"Maybe." She said still suspecting him. 

"I won't do anything.... illegal, okay? But it's the place right?" He said, still not bothering to offer a valid explanation. 

"Yes.... It is..... But what do you mean you won't do anything illegal," Emma said, her eyes widening at his choice of words. 

"Just... trust me, okay?" Cole said throwing her another reassuring smile. Emma shook her head but couldn't help the smile that formed on her lips. 

"Okay."