𝕻𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

"Well, well, well... Another Vevrain I see. I see power, bravery, intelligence, boldness, and above all, I can feel you're a cunning one. Just like all of your ancestors, I know just where to put you," Seraphina grinned, already predicting the Sorting Hat's decision, "Slytherin!"

She heard everyone in the Slytherin table cheering her and got up from the chair running towards the long table with a huge smile. The eleven-year-old girl was more than happy to be sorted in Slytherin, she belonged there. Just like her mother, her father, and all of her ancestors. If she hadn't been a Slytherin, her family would most likely disown her.

Seraphina sat beside the blonde boy who was also in his first year. She didn't have to think twice before hugging him. After all, she did grow up with him, "Abraxas! I'm so happy we're both in the same house."

"We wouldn't have it any other way, Phiny. We couldn't be sorted in any other house," he said. She was clearly excited about being in Hogwarts. Her whole life she dreamed about going to Hogwarts, where she could meet new friends and learn more.

Some people from the other houses were already looking at her with deathly gazes. How could they not? The young girl belonged to one of the most powerful families and most wizards hated her family since they all had important jobs in the Ministry of Magic and their work was described as being unfair. But well, she didn't mind being hated. It is what it is and it wasn't her fault that she was born a Vevrain.

She paid attention to a boy who sat in the chair with an expression full of disdain and sternness. Unlike any other first-year student, he didn't look excited or anxious. In fact, he looked like he wasn't even surprised to be here.

The sorting hat barely touched his head before shouting the house he belonged in, "Slytherin!"

She made a small smile as she watched the boy walking towards the table. He still didn't have a reaction, but everyone in the Slytherin table was cheering for him.

Seraphina clapped her hands as well when he sat in front of her, "Hey, what's your name?" She asked, sounding surprisingly nice. Abraxas raised an eyebrow, she was usually closed up around new people and she would rarely introduce her self willingly. After all, the witch had issues trusting people around her and so she used to stay away from strangers. But she sounded weirdly excited while looking at the boy.

His hazel eyes met hers and he frowned, "I'm Tom Riddle."

She extended her hand for him to shake and Abraxas raised his eyebrows, thinking she had lost her mind. That was rare, "I'm Seraphina Vevrain. It's a pleasure," He shook her hand still unsure about what was happening and she found the boy quite mysterious.

He tilted his head to the side looking at her face, "Why do your eyes have different colors?" His voice was so quiet that she could barely hear him over the clapping and shouting from the other houses.

"I was born like this, all of my family has eyes with different colors," she admitted and he took a few seconds before nodding his head, not seeming interested to keep a conversation.

Both Abraxas and Seraphina found the boy a little weird, but they didn't say anything about him. Besides, every wizard knows about the unique characteristic of the Vevrain Clan. They had different colored eyes. One of Seraphina's eyes were green while the other was black, so dark that her family found it especially unusual.

It was weird that he didn't know about that. Maybe he was raised with Muggles. Perhaps his parents are Muggles? No, that would be weird since he's in Slytherin.

"I'm Abraxas," the young Malfoy said and Tom just nodded his head, before starting to eat quietly, "Abraxas Malfoy", the boy clarified to see if the name rang a bell, but Tom didn't look at him.

The rest of the evening consisted of new introductions and small explanations of the school rules by the headmaster Dippet. Soon enough, the head boy showed the new students the Common Room and the dorms.

Seraphina was amazed at the beauty of the place, but she was still curious about the silent boy beside her. He looked so serious all the time and that surprised her since kids are supposed to be joyful. But he seemed... Broken?

Again, she wasn't the happiest kid in the world, and most times she would turn out to be a spoiled brat, as her parents used to say, but she couldn't imagine someone not being even the slightest excited about Hogwarts. Maybe he's just acting and he's actually very happy inside, she thought.

The truth was that Tom Riddle really was a mystery to the girl and she couldn't stop thinking about him. It was the beginning of a troubled friendship and the cause of her tears most of the time, but until her last breath, Tom Riddle was always on her mind.

 It was the beginning of a troubled friendship and the cause of her tears most of the time, but until her last breath, Tom Riddle was always on her mind