𝟐𝟐

22| honestly intoxicated

"You're the most beautiful girl in this room," Tom whispered, so only Seraphina could hear his words, while day danced slowly in the middle of the office. The other pairs were enjoying the music and the company, but they were nothing compared to the Slytherin prefect and his most prized witch.

In fact, as everyone danced without a care in the world, either adults or students, Tom and Seraphina had a million things on their minds. Despite that, they danced for several minutes without saying a word. They didn't need to. Because closer than the rest of the dancing pairs and with their arms elegantly around each other, words weren't necessary.

Things weren't great between them and their connection was more fragile than ever, and despite that, they still felt that odd sensation of comfort and familiarity when they were dancing together as if none of their problems mattered.

Oddly, Seraphina felt at peace with him and didn't want to let him go. However, she couldn't simply act all-forgiving and clement after what he had said to her weeks ago. So instead of thanking for his compliment, she chose to roll her eyes.

Tom sighed, moving his hand slowly and tenderly on her back, "I'm being honest."

She was no longer wearing her faux fur coat, for she took it off before starting to dance with Tom. And the feeling of his hand in her naked back felt heavenly to him. He silently thanked Merlin for something as meaningless as a backless dress. At least he had thought it was meaningless before he allowed his hand to touch her soft back.

In his opinion, she was truly the most beautiful girl in the room. Actually, he had never laid his eyes on someone as beautiful as Seraphina. He wasn't sure why he found her so attractive when most people thought she was rather odd, with her face full of freckles and her different colored eyes. Sure she was not a common-looking girl, but her unconventional beauty never seemed to stop impressing him.

Looking directly in his eyes, she forced an ironic smile, "Of course you're being honest, because you never lie. That's why you were being so unbelievable honest when you told me you hated Genevieve. And wait a second..." she mocked surprise, "She's right here, and why? Because the great Tom Riddle suggested that she should be invited to this lovely evening!"

Tom tilted his head to the side and sighed, pretending not to be angered by her words, "I thought you eliminated that snappy attitude when you were like twelve. I don't appreciate the tone of voice you're using, Seraphina. Drop it," he asked calmly.

"I don't appreciate many things in this world as well, Tom! In fact, the amount of things and people I appreciate is extremely tiny. Can you believe it?"

"You're intoxicated, Seraphina. Don't embarrass yourself, it's for you own good," he suggested, still trying to look calm and collected.

Seraphina laughed. Was she intoxicated? No, she was drunk. And it was a blessing the firewhiskey only started hitting at that moment because the witch tended to become annoyingly honest when she drank more than she should. Her chest tightened when she imagined how tragic it would be if she was honest with Leo when they were dancing together.

"Tommy, I'm fine," she lied, remembering the drinks she sipped discreetly before Abraxas and Alcides came to meet her, "Can I tell you a secret?"

He rolled his eyes, dancing her away from the crowd until they were more isolated, no longer in the middle of the dancing couples. Tom had seen her intoxicated more than once and he knew she was about to start spilling her secrets. He knew most of them, but he didn't intend that everyone else heard them.