Rain

Fie Wright's P. O. V

"I am so pumped!" An overly excited Ezra exclaims from besides me, his feet shuffling against the marble flooring while his brown eyes whip from me to his father who stares on at his son in intrigue, not bothering to say anything.

I repress a sigh as I glance outside, the looming wrought iron gate standing steadfast amongst the harsh winds that have battered down on it. Thankfully, the rain is at a soft drizzle with green and orange leaves falling down and covering the ground below. The outside gate nestled in one of the many garden's littering the estate of the castle, barely ever used except when Malleus wants to skull around for one of his many hidden adventures.

"It's been a whole hour. Where the hell is your beloved King." Ezra bites at me, sassiness coating his voice as he turns to me with an annoyed expression. Marcus sighing in exasperation as he shakes his head at me to not pay the over exaggerating man any heed. At his look, I bite back my reply of how it's only been barely two minutes since we ourselves reached the alcove that leads out into the huge garden.

Hoisting the straps of my backpack further up my shoulders, I lean against the stone wall and close my eyes. Only a few seconds pass by as my body thrums in a now familiar way, as if each and every fibre in my being is coming alive when my mate steps into the same vicinity as me.

"Fie's beloved King was making important arrangements which if not done would have rendered you dead." Malleus speaks as his footsteps echo down the tunnel, his body still concealed from view but his voice echoing all around us.

"By you, you mean all of us and not just me right?" Ezra questions, a hint of nervousness in his voice, that too gets swept away within the next moment, "Hey! How could you even hear what I said?" The man protests as Malleus finally comes into view.

"I can hear everything going on in this castle." The logical part of my brain queries how he manages to do so, wondering if his heightened abilities as King ranges much higher above all of ours. The other part of my brain, however, melts into a mushy pile of matter as my eyes eagerly rake in the sight of our mate concealed from head to toe in that enticing cloak that he was wearing the first time I met him.

Funnily enough, you could see nothing of the man except for his hands but his appeal to me grew tenfold at the sight of his hooded figure all wrapped snuggly in the pitch black material of the long cloak.

"What's up with the cloak Grim Reaper?"

Ezra seems to be growing more and more at ease with every day, I muse as I stand up straight, enjoying how Malleus clasps my hand in his the moment we're in each other's reach. I even notice the tautness in my mate's jaw peeking out from under the heavy hood, trying his best not to snap at my cousin as his nose flares and he lets out a deep breath.

"I cannot be traipsing around the Kingdom and acting as if I am going on some picnic. I need to be as discreet as possible with only a few close people knowing about my absence." He says stoically, just as Asha appears from within the darkness with our two guards following behind her.

"Sorry for the wait my King but everything is in place. No one will notice your leave." Asha confirms with a dip of her head to which Malleus nods curtly.

"Good. I'll be contacting you throughout my absence. The link will be open just in case of an emergency." They continue to exchange a few words here and there before Asha nods finally once more, wishing us all a good luck and sending me a bright smile as she motions for us to head towards the gate. Hiking my bag against my back with one hand, I anxiously squeeze Malleus' hand with my own, a churning pit of excitement building up within me.

"How did you manage to sort all that out. I mean surely people will notice their King missing from the castle." Ezra voices out, not waiting even a single second till we're out of the gate and making our way down the hill upon which the castle is perched. I remain silent, wanting to know the answer myself to his question.