nights we dreamed

[Proof-readed by Tsusupany. Thank you! <3]

"... But don't you think we need to add some beat to this part? Like drums maybe?" Chaeyoung's suggestion was cut short when her phone rang. "Uh... I'm sorry, I need to take this," she told her producer.

Once she was outside of the studio, Chaeyoung looked at her phone with a frown. Aside from her family and a few close friends, no one had her new number.

She decided to answer the unknown caller.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Rosé-ssi?!" a panicked voice said. "I-it's Irene. Red Velvet's Irene."

"Ah, eonni, what's the matter?" she asked the older woman.

Her eyes went wide as Joohyun explained the situation. Calming her racing heart, she said, "R-right, eonni. I'll be there right now."

To hell with her newest song meeting, she only had one name in her mind right now.

Jinri.

***

Joohyun was pacing restlessly, sometimes almost hitting the people who were passing by in the hallway. Her mind was in an absolute mess right now, constantly thinking about the little girl who was inside the emergency room.

The nurses had forced the four of them- Joohyun, the director, and two of the production staff- to wait patiently outside while they treat Jinri.

But how can she wait patiently when the last image she saw was blood coming out everywhere from the little girl's left foot?

"Have you called her family?" Erica Yoon, the director in charge, asked her to make sure. She had tried to call Robb before, but the French photographer was apparently still on vacation in Jeju island with his boyfriend and couldn't do anything to help.

Joohyun nodded, trying to peek at the door when someone left the room. "Yes, she's on her way here," she said automatically, her mind was distracted.

After Erica had failed to contact Robb, she took matters into her own hands and called Sooyoung to get Rosé's number since they were close friends.

The ER door opened again. A doctor came out and walked to their direction, his face was not something that screams good news- instead, it was the opposite. The three of the production staff immediately stood up beside her, ready to ask questions to the doctor.

"Is one of you her family?"

"ME! I'M HER FAMILY!" Someone shouted from afar.

Chaeyoung ran to catch up with them, seemingly out of breath when she finally stopped. "I- I'm her aunt," she said, panting.

"Well then," the doctor cleared his throat. "We need to undergo an emergency surgery for her immediately. Her tibia fracture was a bit severe since it also effected her fibula bone and not to mention it's an open fracture. Which explains why she was bleeding severely. We need to operate her right now," he said urgently, emphasizing his last word.

Chaeyoung gasped. All the medical vocabulary went over her head, the only thing she could comprehend from what he was saying was that Jinri's condition was serious.

"Are you her biological aunt?" the doctor asked her again, his eyes piercing from underneath the thick glass.

"N-no," Chaeyoung answered, making Joohyun looked at her questioningly. "But her mother isn't in South Korea right now. Can we just do the surgery without her permission?"