even the smallest memories

Jongin turned off the engine of his car. Letting out a sigh, he turned his head to the passenger seat beside him, where Jennie was sleeping peacefully, almost like a baby.

Yes, Kim Jennie.

That Jennie who made him questioned his sanity whenever he got another glimpse of throwbacks out of sudden while doing his usual, random activity.

That Jennie who trapped him in a blind love for years, putting him in a constant search for something he didn't even know, making him restless.

But what he didn't know, was that whether the woman in front of him was still the affectionate, playful girl that he grew to love after meeting her for the first time back in 2016.

The one who brought him her very own home-cooked kimchi fried rice whenever he was sick or simply had a bad day and losing his appetite.

The one who he called first whenever he got a good news, inviting her for a small celebration at his old apartment just the two of them.

The one who accompanied his steps, slowdancing to Daniel Caesar's songs in his living room. It was as if the whole world was silent and the only one that mattered the most was right there in his arms.

He didn't know if she was still that Jennie.

However, upon hearing her soft snores, watching how her chest was rising and falling as she breath; it made him realize that she truly was right here, right in front of him.

It was surreal, almost like a dream. For years, he had been looking for her everywhere, not knowing where to start while at the same time trying his best on being discreet about it since no one knew about their relationship. He had even went as far as hiring a private investigator, only to have him reported that she's no longer in the country. The last time she was tracked was on a flight to United States. Then nothing. It was as if she had vanished from the earth.

To say that it was hard was such an understatement.

And yet here she was, currently in a deep slumber on his passenger seat.

Staring at her serene expression, he realized that the woman before him was not the cruel, cold-hearted person he tried to make her out to be in his mind, after her confession yesterday.

She was simply Jennie.

The girl who stole his attention right away after he saw her performance in an year-end award show. At that time, he was still in a relationship with Soojung, although he recalled that during that period of time their relationship had begun to turn awry. He guessed it was because they were taking things way too fast, turning a friendship into a relationship rather abruptly.

Jongin pinched the bridge of his nose. Right, he had Soojung now. He should not be staring at the woman beside him. She's just someone from his past he tried to forget and staring at her made him felt like a creep right now.

Looking outside the window, Jongin checked if there was anyone else in the parking lot. He had brought her to his apartment, after thinking about it for so long, finally decided that he couldn't just drop her off at the hospital in her current state. Drunk and passed out.

Tugging her wrist carefully as if she was some kind of a bomb, Jongin tried to nudge her to wake up. "Jennie," he called her. His throat went dry instantly when she moaned in annoyance, her lips parted slightly.

Jongin gulped. "Jennie, wake up," he said, this time a bit louder.

She clicked her tongue, muttered something he guessed was gibberish. But fortunately she opened her eyes, blinking for several times to adjust her vision.