---

She couldn't even hold it. The corners of her lips just involuntarily turned upwards when she watched her daughter threw herself to hug him, circling her small hands on his neck.

It also wasn't lost on her, how eventhough he just said that teasingly, he himself got caught off guard by the little girl's sudden hug. He put the flower bouquet on the ground before returning the hug just as tight.

Jennie saw all of it, a blissful feeling of warmth crept inside her heart as a realization hit her.

This was how it should've been.

She did the right thing by telling him, and allowing him to be involved in their daughter's life.

Letting out a sigh, she slowly walked away from the room, leaving both father and daughter who was too caught up with each other to notice her leaving.

"Hey, Princess," Jongin muttered when he heard the little girl sniffled, "Why are you crying, hm? Is meeting your father that upsetting for you?" he tried to crack a joke to lighten the mood.

She refused to give him an answer, only tightening their hug and hiding her face on his chest.

Jongin sighed, smiling wistfully as he stroked her dark locks. "I'm sorry," he said, "I know that... no matter how many times I apologize to you, I would never be able to heal the pain you've been feeling all these years without me. It must be hard, isn't it?"

She gave a small nod, still hugging him.

"But I'm here now, Princess," he continued, a single tear escaped his eye as he said that. "I'm here for you every step of the way. And I promise that... from now on, I will never leave you. Ever."

"I will be your Appa and you will forever be my Princess. How does that sound?" he asked her, placing a soft kiss on the top of her head.

She was quiet for a while, trying to digest what he just said before she meekly muttered,

"Appa..."

Jongin smiled when he heard that. "Yes?" his own voice hoarse from the overwhelming emotions he felt.

His daughter just called him Appa for the first time and to say that was the greatest feeling in the world would be such an understatement.

"Thank you," the little girl whispered.

He couldn't help but feel confused by her reaction. "What for?"

"For... wanting to be my Appa," she replied. "I-I know, it must be surprising for you to find out who I really am," she stopped to gulp, "-but you came to me regardless."

What she said hit him hard, making tears falling even more from his eyes.

It never really dawned on him how mature Jinri truly was, but her reaction just now described how wise the little girl was in her head.

Even when it was clearly her right to have him as her father in her life, Jinri was mindful of him and putting him above her need. It was as if she thought that even when he knew the truth, it was somewhat acceptable if he didn't want to be involved in her life.

She probably thought that... she didn't deserve having a father in the first place, therefore not putting any high expectations on him.

"You-" Jongin shut his eyes, trying to calm himself when he felt his own body shook with mixed feelings. "You don't need to thank me. Of course I would want to be your Appa, Jinri-ah. You're literally the kindest, brightest, and most beautiful little girl I know."

He released their hug. Her face looked so small as he cup her chin, wiping her tears carefully with his thumb. It honestly broke his heart when he realized how lowly she thinks of herself, when in reality, this little girl in front of him deserved every single good thing in the world.