they come and go several times

"Who- who are you calling?" Joohyun asked after she hung up on Chaeyoung. Her eyes were looking at her fiancé, expecting him to give her an answer immediately.

"Sehun, who are you calling?" she repeated her question after he ignored her, too busy with his phone. "Is it Jongin?"

He simply nod, about to open his mouth to elaborate before closing it again as he heard the call got picked up.

"What is it?" Jongin's voice asked him, his tone flat.

"Where are you-"

Joohyun quickly snatched his phone, putting it on her ear. "Jongin, this is Joohyun-"

"Give me that, babe-"

She swiftly avoided his hand trying to get his phone back. "Now, I'm going to ask you a simple yes or no question, please answer it honestly: is Jennie- Kim Jennie, with you right now?"

"Put it in loud speaker," Sehun whispered to her, which she did.

They heard Jongin sighed. "Yes she is. I-"

"What the hell, man?!" Sehun cut his sentence. His tongue clicked in disapproval. "You were with her? The whole night?"

Beside him, Joohyun also had the same expression on her face but she quickly got over it as she continued, "I'm not gonna ask what or why are you doing what you did. It's just-" she rubbed her face, "Just drop her back to the hospital. Her daughter is looking for her."

"I will. Thank you for informing me."

"And don't think that this is over," Sehun warned him. "We'll be having a long discussion before the recording session today."

Tut!

"You said they used to be a thing, right?" Joohyun asked him after Jongin hung up the call abruptly. "W-why do you think your friend brought Jennie to his apartment?" she looked at him with worry in her eyes, biting her bottom lip.

Sehun huffed. "They did, but how could I know? Ask your friend instead," he said, his mind was already busy planning a whole speech to say to Jongin. He was also annoyed with the fact that his fiancée invited Jennie to their party without telling him beforehand.

Seeing his attitude, Joohyun furrowed her brows disapprovingly. "What do you mean with that? Jennie isn't someone who just went to someone's place and completely forgot that she had a daughter who is staying at the hospital at the moment," she snapped at him, defending her best friend. "Your friend Jongin must've done something to her."

"Why did you invite her to the party in the first place, though?" Sehun argued. "I told you that Jongin still has feelings for her. You know that guy was practically a monk for ten years for that woman!"

"Well is it wrong for me wanting my best friend to attend my engagement party?" she retorted back. Rolling her eyes, she added, "If that's the case then, let's see how well your rebound plan to make him move on from Jennie works."

Sehun squinted his eyes at her. "Are you calling a bet now? Out of our friendsʼ misery?"

Joohyun shrugged. "Well, if you call it that way-"

"It's on, Bae Joohyun."

***

The ride was awkward, even more so than the breakfast she had earlier today since now she knew why was he acting this way- all cold and irritated simply by her presence. His eyes were currently focusing on the road ahead, while hers was staring outside the window, avoiding even the smallest contact.