Chapter 45: Unsafe

Jovi, dialling 999, began to look wary of Leon. He didn't notice. Sonia snatched the phone from her hand.

'Don't waste your time with Wedgehurst Police. We'll get Bob.'

'Anabel,' Abbey said shakily, because only Anabel would give Leon a chance. 'We need Anabel. She's on the case already. And she's the best detective we know.'

Sonia gave Abbey a look that said Anabel was not the best detective she knew. Leon was concerned, but Hop was comforting Jovi and barely noticed.

'What happened, Hop? I thought you were ill.'

'It doesn't matter. There's been another break-in. They've taken Jovi's – what they took last time.'

Abbey willed Leon to look surprised. He did not. Even Hop glanced back, expecting a reaction, but there was none.

'But are you alright? Don't you need to get to hospital?'

'It can wait.'

'What about the rest of you? Is anyone hurt?'

'Just Jovi,' Sonia said coolly, 'When she was hit by a Fire-type attack.'

Leon's face was utterly unreadable. He didn't look surprised, or even concerned; only as if he was quietly considering something they would never be privy to. Sonia rang Bob. With Jovi's description, he took off to find any trace of the thief. He called Anabel to the lab. Leon stared out of the window, hands in pockets, while they waited. Sonia never took her eyes off him. When Abbey offered a hand, he took it. His palms were sweaty. He looked as if he wanted to say something to Abbey, but didn't. Anabel arrived about 15 minutes later, in a rush of wind as Latios swooped down. Alakazam was out of its Poké Ball. This was serious. That meant it was on alert, as Anabel's third eye, seeing anything she could not.

'I'm afraid I must search you all. This is merely a formality, so please don't panic.'

Except it wasn't just a formality, because no-one was searched last time. Leon willingly handed over his backpack and coat. Anabel removed his flying licence from his wallet to examine it. So she did know he flew off earlier. He didn't flinch when she ran her metal detector over him. It found nothing. The only one to set it off was Jovi, because her pockets were full of stray parts.

Anabel released the Pokémon from the Poké Balls she pulled from bags without asking first. Lucario and Alakazam began to search them. Leon's Pokémon were as calm as their Trainer. Anabel smiled when Aegislash made the metal detector go wild. Yamper was the most jumpy. It tried to zap Alakazam.

'Yamper!' Sonia snapped, 'Down! Sit!'

Anabel waved dismissively. 'Don't worry. It's normal. They're used to it.'

She stowed the metal detector away. Abbey released the breath she held.

Am I acting suspicious now? This is like when you see the 'no weapons' signs at the airport and wonder if you've accidentally packed a sword you don't own.

Anabel and Alakazam studied Jovi's lab coat and the charred floor. Leon spoke first.

'Flamethrower.'

'Yes.'

'Looks like it came from a Pokémon's mouth, looking back, from the angle.'

Anabel smiled. 'Perhaps you should join the International Police, Mr. Fayed.'

'No thanks.'

'So,' Hop said, 'Pokémon native to the mainland that shoot Flamethrower from their mouths – Ninetales, Flareon, Salazzle–'

'Taller.' Leon interrupted.

Abbey glanced bewilderedly at him. Are you trying to incriminate yourself? Is this some kind of self-sabotage?

'OK. Arcanine, Hydreigon, Turtonator, Charizard and... obviously, not Eternatus.'

'Thank you, Professor.' Anabel said, though Abbey suspected she already knew exactly what Pokémon was responsible and who it belonged to. She rose.

'I'm going to check the CCTV... Abbey, Jovi, if you'll come with me...'

For a moment, Abbey was confused. Then she realised Anabel expected her to recognise Leon. She reluctantly followed. Anabel connected the security system's hard drive to her own petite laptop.

'That's him.' Jovi said as a blurry, hooded figure crept around the lab to the garden. He ducked out of the camera's range before they saw him release any Pokémon.

Abbey observed the time. 12:46. That wasn't long after Leon left. Why would he fly off, turn around, fly off again and then return to break in? Unless it was all done to confuse... Anabel's sharp eyes noticed, from the grainy footage inside the lab, that the board was removed from the window then; but the thief retreated into the trees, towards the river. She fast-forwarded the footage to his return at 14:04. Six minutes before Leon arrived. Sneaking back the same way he first came, the thief removed the loose board. That was the clang they heard. He jumped inside. Something covered his face. It looked like a scarf. In one long stride, he was at the Power Spot Detector. He reached for the Aura Detector with confidence, but began to squirm when he struggled to remove it. The rattling. Jovi wandered over. Lifting himself with only one arm, the thief swung effortlessly out of the window. Jovi waved her arms. A few seconds later, a stream of fire poured in. It was indeed Flamethrower.

'Thank you, Professor Mesquite.'

It was Jovi's cue to leave. Anabel faced Abbey once she was out of earshot. Abbey found herself stammering.

'That's not Leon. I think he'd be too, er, sore to jump like that because, er, well...'

'I don't think it was Leon.'

'Anabel – I'm kind of worried. Bob's going to think it was him. Sonia thinks it's him. Even Jovi's starting to think it's him. I sort of get it... his phone was on around both break-ins. It is a bit odd...'

'Did he tell you where he was going earlier?'

'He...'

Abbey hesitated. Anabel didn't suspect him. It was safe to tell her... wasn't it?

'He said – he was going to Postwick.'

Anabel only nodded. 'Can you keep him busy?'

'Like...?'

'Just keep him busy. Keep an eye on him.'

'Where was he going? You know, don't you?'

'It's not for me to tell you.'

'What if I took him to Alola?'

Anabel smiled. 'That would be perfect. In fact... if you could convince your colleagues to go, too, I'd be grateful. We can search the lab and you'll be safe.'

'Search – the lab? Are we not safe...?'

'I think you know the answer.'