Chapter 51: Sacred Battle

Hau looked momentarily nervous. Pualani hovered behind him. His wife who supported him through his grandfather's death was clearly aware he was a fan the whole time. Leon's eyes sparkled. He was at ease again.

'I'd be honoured to battle here. Of course I accept.'

'Aue! Let's go!'

Their friends and Hau's neighbours gathered. Battles were only fought there on special occasions. It was indeed an honour that the kahuna thought Leon worthy of it. Abbey was thrilled. At least Hau and Acerola didn't think her boyfriend was a criminal. She was also pleased to see, from Leon's expression, that he took the laid-back kahuna seriously. Hau's Incineroar charged from the house to the battlefield to face Aegislash.

'Hey, Incineroar! Let's show 'em what we're made of already!'

Aegislash was faster. It slashed at Incineroar with Sacred Sword. Striped fur flew. Incineroar was unfazed. Hau crossed his arms. His Z-Ring gleamed. The relaxed way his loose limbs followed the Dark-type dance was a contrast to Olivia's tight choreography. It ended in a dramatic pose intended to intimidate. When Hau's carefree smile flipped to bold resolve, it indeed did. Light surrounded Incineroar. It prepared to pounce. The Pokémon and its Trainer raised arms in perfect synchrony. Its deafening roar echoed. More onlookers wandered to the battlefield. Incineroar charged. The wooden floor shook. Fire blazed around its waist. Hau flung up his arms as an unspoken command. In a trail of flames and smoke, Incineroar leapt up. The square was illuminated as it plummeted down at blistering speed. Watchers reflexively covered their faces. The floor trembled. In the cloud of smoke, only Hau was visible. Abbey wondered if Leon was knocked to the floor. Wind gently blew smoke away. Aegislash, utterly crushed, returned to its Poké Ball. Its Trainer, still standing as if nothing had happened, showed no emotion. Victor cheered. Hop hesitated, because he liked Hau, too.

Leon sent out Inteleon. Incineroar was swiftly knocked out with Snipe Shot. Raichu replaced it.

'Yeah, Raichu! Thunderbolt!'

'Inteleon, Dark Pulse!'

Raichu flinched as it was bombarded with the pulsing aura of black intention. It couldn't attack. Hau hesitated.

'Come on back, buddy!'

He withdrew Raichu. Dark Pulse hit Leafeon. It did little damage. Inteleon failed to knock it out on the next turn with the winds it whipped up for Air Slash. Leafeon slashed at it with Leaf Blade. Inteleon toppled. Blood trickled from its wound. Leon sent out Charizard.

'Focus, Charizard! Fire Blast!'

The intense blast of enveloping flames withered Leafeon. Hau returned it to its Ball before it hit the ground.

'Go for it, Komala!'

Drowsing on its log pillow, Komala looked too cute and tired to do any damage. Leon remarked that he had never seen it before, but he knew from its Trainer's ability that it wasn't to be underestimated.

'Keep it up, Charizard! Fire Blast!'

Komala survived the scorching blast. It slashed at Charizard with Shadow Claw, but did little damage. Charizard's next Fire Blast missed. Like the Trainer it had been with so long, it showed no emotion when Shadow Claw tore bloody scratches, fizzling with fading shadows, across its stomach. Hau knew Komala was going down on the next turn. It hastily hit Charizard with Sucker Punch before its flapping wings whipped up razor-sharp winds that brutally flung the little Pokémon off the battlefield.

Abbey knew why Hau reserved the remnants of Raichu's strength. Leon couldn't know. She hoped he was still as adaptable as the boy who credited becoming Champion at 10 to his ability to learn from every turn of every match. Hau sent out Crabominable. Charizard knocked out Crabominable in one hit with Fire Blast.