Chapter 64: Intruder at Integer Tower

Security guards barely glanced at the hooded figure strolling into Integer Tower. A burly League Staff member in sunglasses trailed a little nervously after him. The receptionist glanced up.

'Good morning! How can I help you?'

'Give me your keys.'

'Excuse me?'

'Give me your keys.'

Her hand hovered over her emergency button. 'What are you on about?! I'll – I'll call the police!'

The intruder pulled down his hood. 'That won't help you.'

'Leon?!'

'Just give me your keys...'

He glanced at her name badge. 'Samantha.'

She slammed the button. Security rushed in. Leon yelled to his accomplice.

'Lazlo! Block the door! Now!'

Charizard took them on, three-on-one. Their weak Pokémon – Swoobat, Skuntank, Garbodor and even Crawdaunt – dropped like Cutiefly in Heat Wave. He anticipated being attacked by multiple Trainers at once and taught Charizard that last night. When the remaining guard tried to retreat, Lazlo's Rillaboom knocked out his Grimmsnarl. Leon felt uncomfortably like Rose, bringing along a League Staff member... but other than the child prodigies he'd never risk endangering, Lazlo was his best student. He stripped the security guards of their walkie-talkies and tossed one to Leon.

'OK, Lazlo, Mr. Rime – you stay here. I'm going up.'

'Yes, sir!'

Lazlo had already been briefed: appearing as an innocent League Staff member with an enthusiastic Mr. Rime wanting to dance, he would stop anyone entering or leaving even if, as a last resort, he had to use brute force; in which case Mr. Rime could help him. Samantha hid under the desk. Leon felt a little guilty. He took a bigger set of keys from a cowering security guard instead and charged off up the stairs. The lift was too risky. When Leon began this 'project,' he couldn't have considered the stairs, because he'd have passed out eventually. It was wonderful to recognise the face in the mirror again and for a moment, he hesitated... but reliving his trauma in therapy, then Abbey and Hop disappearing convinced him he had nothing to lose.

Footsteps clattered. Leon stopped running. Doors burst open above. Two huge men in matching grey suits charged at him.

'Power-double explosion attack!'

The steel stairs shook as a Metagross landed. Charizard leapt to protect its Trainer before Leon even yelled a command. Heat Wave engulfed Metagross. It fainted. Leon only recognised his next Pokémon, Grumpig, because it was imported as meat. Charizard sent it hurtling down the stairs with Hurricane. It flew too far, too fast, to return to its Poké Ball. The Trainer dashed off to recover it. His partner sent his Golem rolling at Charizard. Leon hastily withdrew it. Inteleon dodged and fired Snipe Shot. Golem tumbled, unconscious. Inteleon threw itself in front of Leon to protect him. The Trainer returned it in time. He sure did look familiar...

Leon didn't recognise his next Pokémon at all. Pink and yellow surrounded its light skin. Going by its stance, it had to be a Fighting-type, so he sent Charizard back out. The opposing Pokémon leapt. Leon and Charizard ducked. There was a resounding crash as the Pokémon hurt itself landing from its High Jump Kick.

'Finish it off, Charizard! Hurricane!'

'Gyaaaaaah! Medicham! Get up!'

Charizard was too fast. Hurricane hurled Medicham at the wall. The Trainer half-heartedly sent out his final Pokémon, Xatu. It was knocked instantly unconscious by Heat Wave.

'Whaaaaat?!'

'Honestly!' Leon couldn't help exclaiming, 'Is this really the best ye can do?!'

The other Trainer trudged quietly back up. His partner yelled. 'We have to stop him!'

'Uh, Leon...? You... you're really strong... I...'

'Well, you can be that strong if you train harder.'

'I will! I swear!'

Leon was a little baffled. The man's colossal fists clenched. 'I'm – I'm just – I'm such a huge fan! I don't wanna stop him, bro!'

'Well, if you won't help me, I'm outta here!'

'Please don't judge me!' the apparent fan cried as they dashed off, 'I'll train hard and become a worthy challenger!'

His distant voice echoed. 'I really love you, Charizard!'

Leon glanced at his confused Pokémon. 'Looks like you've got a big fan there.'

Heels clip-clopped. Another Trainer leapt out at the next floor. Charizard effortlessly took out her Yanmega. Her next Pokémon, Stantler, dodged Hurricane. Blood spurted when its horns rammed Charizard with Take Down. Leon was held up cleaning and spraying its wounds with a Max Potion. The woman ran off, yelling. Leon glanced up at the floor plan. He had 18 flights of stairs left. With news clearly spreading, he didn't dare use his stolen walkie-talkie to check on Lazlo. He wondered if he'd made a mistake only bringing one helper... but Lazlo was willing and some shadow of Leon's renewed confidence remained. He was sure he could do it alone.

Trainers darted to ambush him every few floors. Some he'd already defeated returned, having healed their Pokémon... but that had to mean there weren't so many here. On the 39th floor, eight sent out their Pokémon at once. Charizard's Heat Wave weakened them, but failed to knock them out. A Vileplume aimed Sleep Powder at Leon. Charizard promptly set it alight. It crashed, panicking, into its Trainer whose scarf went up in flames. The floor shook. Something landed, grunting, in the melee. Leon glanced up. A thumbs-up stuck out from the stairs above. It was the fan he defeated. The impact of his Grumpig's landing scattered the attacking Pokémon and knocked a Nuzleaf out. Heat Wave finished them off. Leon didn't wait for them to resentfully hand over prize money. He ran. The fan stepped into his path.

'I'm really, really sorry, but–'

'I'm not gonna try to stop you, but I'm warning you – this guy just got here and he's really scary!'

'I doubt he'll scare me.'

Leon barged past. The man uncertainly called after him.

'Bro... don't get thrown in jail. Tons of people really wanna see your World Championships match, Leon... bro...'

There was no time to chat. Finally throwing open the 42nd floor doors, he expected this scary man to leap out... but the spotless white corridor was silent. There was no sign of movement. Offices were empty. Their occupants had probably run off to take on the intruder. Only one flight of rickety stairs remained, leading to the roof. Has he fled or what? There was only one way to find out. He strode towards the chairman's office.

'Sorry, challenger, but I've got to stop you there.'

Leon smiled before he turned. Maybe this would be a real challenge. Champion Randal's cape glimmered in the artificial light.

'I'm sure I don't have to remind you, Leon, that it's the Champion's duty to protect.'

'Let's see if you can, then.'

'You could just hand yourself in, you know. You're never going to get out of here free. At least 50 witnesses have seen you!'

'I don't forfeit, Champion.'

Randal's dramatic sigh was replaced by a grin that rounded his dimpled cheeks. He adjusted his miniature crown.

'Then we'll have ourselves a champion time, shall we?'