Chapter 61: Return to Galar

Olivia was late to the Ruins of Life as night fell. As if he knew she'd come, Leon waited outside... already clutching his Sparkling Stone.

'You passed, huh? Better give me that... I'll make a Z-Ring for you.'

'I – I saw Tapu Lele.'

'Lucky you.'

'It felt like...'

'Like?'

'Like it was trying to – warn me – not to do something.'

'And what might that be...?'

'I can't tell you.'

Olivia barely felt Tapu Lele's presence now... and concern for her friend, her trial-goer, overtook as soon as she'd decided it wasn't her problem.

'Why not?'

'I can't risk anyone telling Abbey. Or Hop. They don't deserve...'

Olivia forced herself to remain neutral. 'If there's something they don't deserve to go through, why even consider it?'

'I...'

'Do you feel... an obligation?'

This was not Tapu Lele speaking. It was Olivia repeating Carlton's words in paranoia.

'I guess. Yeah.'

Alarms blared in her mind. 'Isn't your only obligation to your loved ones?'

'Well, yeah.'

'Don't do it, Wyndon Boy, whatever it is. Hand over your Sparkling Stone.'

He seemed reluctant to let it go. Her mind was whirling. Could that be because he hoped to use it for something else... back at his factory? Why did she care? Perhaps because, to her chagrin, she'd come to care for Raihan as well as Abbey. She knew his best friend turning bad would break his heart. He passed her the stone. Surely he hadn't tricked even Tapu Lele? Maybe he wouldn't go through with it... maybe deciding that was how he passed the trial. She assured herself that was it, but when she said goodbye to Abbey at the airport, she couldn't help hugging her tight and urging her to stay safe. She knew from the look in Abbey's eyes that she understood.

***

Lines stretched around barriers leading to Motostoke Airport's R-Passport gates. Rotom scanned the photo page and compared it to the holder's face. Piers and Marnie were already through. He said they'd trained with a dance troupe and rock star, Ryuku, on Ula'ula Island. Their friends were too tired to question them. Jet lag hit hard on the return journey. Raihan, quiet since he said goodbye to Olivia, did at least claim to have seen them.

Leon's passport wouldn't scan. Hop impatiently contemplated ducking under a barrier to the next gate. Staff asked Leon if this usually happened. He patted his cheeks, joking it was the colour of his skin, but they didn't get it... or weren't listening because the code displayed on the screen meant something to them. He was directed to a desk to speak to a real person, but before he even got there, officers seized his arms and marched him into a side room. Hop stared, horrified. Passengers behind yelled at him to hurry up. Abbey, too, was transfixed. She asked staff if one of them could go with him, but they snapped at her to go through. Once she and Hop did, officers demanded they moved on. Shoes clipped the floor ahead. Abbey felt sick when she looked up and saw Anabel. She beckoned. Hop tried to follow, but Anabel shook her head.

'He's my brother!'

Hop's distraught cry was ignored. He hammered on the door Anabel slammed behind her, but she impassively told him he couldn't enter. Abbey hoped Leon would be here too. The room was empty. She couldn't stop her forehead wrinkling as Anabel faced her.