Chapter 79: The Puppet Master

Alfie stepped out from the ruins of the storeroom. His hand was clamped around Lovrina's trembling wrist. Her damp eyes were bloodshot. Haxorus, growling, stood protectively before its Trainer. Cinderace was ready to pounce. Abbey called it back. She knew Leon had to do this himself.

'So worried about your Charizard, even though your little brother's bleeding to death outside?'

Leon scowled. He had no reason to believe Alfie. Malcolm hurriedly revived Seismitoad and sprayed at Haxorus' wounds.

'I'm serious. The big boss got him.'

'He's no big boss. You're the manipulator behind all this. You manipulated Lovrina. You even manipulated your own manager. What a feat!'

'You're not so dumb,' Alfie sneered, 'For a child star dropout. Maybe you could have gone back to school. Too bad I'm going to kill you. Go, Gyarados!'

'Haxorus! Poison Jab!'

The Pokémon slammed together. Shock waves erupted. Malcolm went flying.

'I'll kill anyone who defends you, too! Do all say hi to Hop for me!'

Haxorus pushed Gyarados back. Alfie ducked as it crashed to the floor. Leon hurled an Ultra Ball. Gyarados thrashed out. Its swinging tail swept Haxorus' legs from under it. It stood in time to block Shadow End from hitting Leon. Blood pooled where its tusks struck Gyarados. The next Ultra Ball clicked. Alfie grimaced. He sent out two Pokémon: Abomasnow and Kabutops. Leon sent out Aegislash in response. Alfie's fingers snapped at Lovrina. Freed of his grip, she clung with both hands to her remote.

'Now! Now, you dumb bitch!'

'No!'

She scowled back. 'You are so going to battle fair and square!'

'Give me that!'

'No!'

She held it over her head. He was too short to reach. In the meantime, Kabutops lunged at Leon. Haxorus leapt to protect him. Its tusks locked onto the incoming scythes. Aegislash sliced through Abomasnow's thick fur.

'Abomasnow! Shadow Chill!'

The freezing beam pinned Aegislash against the battered wall. His new Pokémon used the same strategies... but poor Aegislash still couldn't free itself. Its shield clattered again to the ruptured floor. Abbey was chilled to the bone by the ruthless evil in Alfie's eyes. She figured he wasn't a nice person... but to casually announce he'd kill them all, when she knew that would include Lovrina if she didn't comply, was something else. As a teen, even a young adult, she might have run to save herself. Now there was no question, as it seemed there wasn't for Raihan, that she would remain to cheer her rival on no matter what... and if, just if the worst happened, they were ready to fight Alfie to the death.

Leon sent out Seismitoad. Kabutops was battered by Mud Shot. In the meantime, Leon aimed an Ultra Ball at Abomasnow. It shattered. Both opponents charged at Haxorus. Seismitoad moved to aid its teammate, but it was too slow. Haxorus was trampled to the floor. Leon withdrew it before they continued to beat its unconscious body. He replaced it with Inteleon. It knocked Abomasnow back with Snipe Shot while Leon aimed at Kabutops. The ball rolled and smashed. Seismitoad wrestled Kabutops from Inteleon. Its scythes drew blood. Alfie was fighting with Lovrina for the remote again. Leon threw another Ultra Ball. Abomasnow was sealed inside.

'You stupid bitch! This is your fault!'

'You are so a totally useless Trainer!'

Her eyes repeatedly flitted to the back door. She couldn't run. Alfie's Pokémon would chase her. He threw his next Dusk Ball so furiously he almost toppled. Escavalier burst out. Leon used Seismitoad's turn to aim at Kabutops. It immediately broke free. Inteleon attacked Escavalier with Snipe Shot. Its whirling lances brutally drilled into Seismitoad.