Chapter 50: Good Omen

A clear sky stretched over Akala Island as the sun rose. Abbey, Leon and Acerola took a leisurely walk to the ferry terminal, where they arranged to meet their friends. Cinderace and Sableye flew ahead on Charizard's back. The city's lights were off, allowing the stars above a dim glimmer. Amongst them one seemed to appear suddenly, especially dazzling, before it streaked across the lightening sky in a trail of pink. Abbey and Acerola stopped walking. Leon glanced back. He looked uneasy.

'What?'

Acerola was still smiling. 'You saw that shooting star, right?'

'Was it a shooting star?'

'Nope! That was the guardian deity of Akala Island.'

His hand was absentmindedly on his chest, as if he felt something they did not.

'Does that mean something?'

'Maybe. Olivia will know.'

Acerola cheerily tossed taro chips to the Pokémon, but they barely noticed. A Rattata snatched them as they scattered. They resumed walking.

'Abbey has met Tapu Lele.'

Leon's face was as unreadable as ever. 'Really?'

'Yeah, at Wela Volcano Park when that Ultra Beast stuff went down! It left her the Sparkling Stone that Olivia made into her Z-Ring.'

Or at least if Abbey resided on Ula'ula Island, that might have been Tapu Bulu's reasoning. Olivia, who knew how gleefully cruel Tapu Lele could be, suggested it wanted her to take the island challenge because if she succeeded, Alola would gain a great Trainer; but if she didn't, her failure might drive her away, to the deity's amusement. Indeed, the night she defeated Champion Gladion at Mount Lanakila, that rosy streak illuminated the cloudy sky above the celebration in Konikoni City. She refused the Champion title. The tapu had never appeared to her since.

Abbey wondered what it did want, or sense, showing itself so clearly over the city. Perhaps assessing Raihan for the Sparkling Stone he needed to use his gift from the kahuna? She doubted it cared about her return. Olivia feigned reluctance to train with Raihan that day before accepting his invitation, so they weren't planning to join their friends; but they awaited them at the ferry terminal.

'Aren't you lucky?' Olivia said with a guarded smile, 'You've seen a guardian deity.'

Sonia, Hop and Jovi were absorbed in their phones, probably researching the tapu. Victor tentatively stood.

'Lee? Arreet, mate? You look like you've seen a ghost.'

'He has!' Acerola announced, 'Six of them! One was even... wait for it... a horrible, petrifying... dehumidifier!'

No-one but Abbey and Leon got the joke. He didn't hesitate when addressing Olivia.

'So the guardian deity – what does that mean?'

'Maybe it's sensed a worthy Trainer. Maybe it wants to cause trouble. Maybe it thinks it needs to protect something. Time will tell.'

Abbey had the sinking suspicion Olivia was reminded that Leon was a suspect. Raihan followed her as she waved goodbye. Leon shook himself from his thoughts to mouth 'good luck.' Grinning, he mouthed back that he didn't need luck. They boarded the ferry. The horn blared as it departed. Piers and Marnie were absent because he apparently dragged her along to ukulele lessons. Abbey stretched out her arms on the deck. The salty morning breeze was refreshing. While Acerola chatted to Victor inside, Leon stood quietly beside Abbey.

'What do you think that was all about?'

'I've no idea, to be honest. Tapu Lele is so unpredictable. Olivia's your best bet for finding out.'