Chapter 69: Landing

Raihan couldn't risk taking the lift down to Hop. He climbed onto Flygon's back. They hurtled in a vertical descent through the narrow gap between stairs. Trainers congregated in corridors. It appeared no-one was being allowed out. The floor approached. There was no time to stop and think.

'Now, Flygon – Sandstorm!'

Sand flew. Their landing was bumpy. Raihan almost fell. Flygon reached to steady him. Screams echoed as visiblity faded.

'Keep it going!'

He nudged the doors to reception slightly ajar. The sandstorm surged in. Only Raihan could still see. Panicked police flanked the main doors. They glanced around for the source of the indoor storm, but saw nothing. Hop and Dubwool stood like sentinels beside a League Staff member and his weary Rillaboom. Mr. Rime clung to its Trainer's brother.

'Hey! Professor!'

Hop spun, squinting. 'Where's Lee?!'

'Safe. Now we're off to follow him.'

Raihan grabbed Hop's shoulders to steer him to Flygon. He took Mr. Rime's Poké Ball from his pocket to finally return it. Police, shining torches, began to feel their way forward.

'Quick!'

'Wait! Lazlo! He's with Lee!'

He lifted Hop onto Flygon's back and seized Lazlo's wrist. 'Come on, then!'

The air was deep orange. Hop flinched as Flygon's waving wings continued to whip up dust. Lazlo shuffled on behind him. They'd barely grabbed each other's waists when Flygon took off.

'Show yourself! This is the police!'

'Hang on, you lot!'

Footsteps clattered after them into the stairwell. 'You are under arrest, Leon Fayed!'

Their commands mingled with Lazlo's yelps of terror. His hat flew off. There were mere inches between their heads and the stairs. The sandstorm weakened. There was no time to land and adjust as they reached the top, but if Raihan wasn't precise enough, they'd slam into the ceiling. He firmly nudged Flygon to tilt. Its wings folded. They shot through the narrow gap onto the roof. Then it was behind them and they were in the open sky. Sirens shrieked. A police Corviknight took off from a neighbouring rooftop.

'What a nause... time for another Sandstorm!'

Lazlo's protests were lost in the wind. Flygon swerved to avoid the police and a Flying Taxi as it whipped up the sandstorm.

'Shut your eyes, lads! Make this a good one, Flygon!'

Galar's biggest airport wasn't so far away. Logos on the planes taking off were visible. A Pikachu waved from a Kanto Airlines plane. The air clouded until their flashing lights glowed like stars in a dark night. Flygon sped on. When Raihan glanced back, eyes burning, the policeman atop the car couldn't agree with Corviknight on which way to go. Reaching White Hill, they were finally swallowed by thick, icy clouds. Flygon hated the cold. Raihan sensed it was growing weak. They couldn't catch the ambulance now. He turned in the direction of Ballonlea. It was a diversion, but at least they wouldn't need another sandstorm to get them over Hammerlocke.

Mountains met the leafy roof of Glimwood Tangle. Its eerie glow seeped through. Ballonlea Stadium illuminated the town in perpetual darkness. Distant sirens blared. There was no way to tell if it was police. They could only fly on. Thunder rumbled in the black clouds rolling over Stow-on-Side. Flygon plunged right in. Lazlo wailed that they were going to die. Hop leaned to yell in Raihan's ear and he thought he'd protest, too.