22 | Jake House

Thank you @Adela1290 for this beautiful sunset.  I'm loving the bar codes as borders.

Chapter 22: Jake House

Mr and Mrs Dawson stood at the entrance of their picturesque cabin and I could feel how unexcited they were that Luke had brought me.

After all, I'm the girl that blurted out how I kissed Luke on the same day I was meant to be going on a date with Jake. 

The two brothers fought because of that, right before someone spray painted $1 hooker inside on my front door.

Not my finest moments.

Mrs Dawson greeted me with a light hug, and I remembered the last time I saw her.

It was on Dupont Avenue when she overheard Cearra say how Luke was perfect for erotic fantasies, how girls want to rip his clothes off and scream his name.

I really hope first impressions aren't as important as everyone says they are.

We walked inside the cabin, following Luke and his father who were already talking about basketball. Luke was carrying our duffel bags and said he would drop them off in our rooms.

Rooms with an 's'.  Looks like they don't want us sharing a double.

Meanwhile, I was infatuated by the view in front of me. The interior was enormous. Giant windows revealed a glorious view of the sparkling lake.

A plasma screen TV was nestled over a fireplace and cozy blankets draped over a large beige sofa. The wooden dining table was next to the windows with a patterned rug underneath.

"Millie," Mr Dawson greeted me, "It's nice to see you again. I hear you've been a frequent visitor to our house and particularly fond of my son's bedroom."

Oh wow, we're going there?

"H- have I?" My nerves were getting the better of me.

I was nervous in front of Mr Dawson. He wore a crisp, button-down shirt and his hair perfectly combed. He was handsome for an old guy, with features that he clearly passed down to his sons.

"I suppose it depends which son we're talking about," he added.

Someone help me. 

This man was determined to make me feel like an insect on his shoe.

"Luke got accepted into some mighty fine colleges," he moved subject as if this entire conversation was casual, "Have you heard? He's going places."

I nodded, "It's amazing news."

I'm sure he couldn't wait to see the last of me. In his mind, the further I am from Luke, the better. He couldn't wait for Luke's graduation.

"Luke's dream is to play for the Kentucky Wildcats," Mr Dawson said proudly, "Now he will."

That's not what Luke told me. He said his dad's dream was Kentucky, but that didn't mean it was his.

I faked a smile, not wanting to cause any interference in their family set up. I could just imagine the pressure Luke has been under his whole life.

I guess every family has their secrets.

Framed photos hung on walls around us. With a photogenic family like this, I could understand why. A photo that took pride of place was of Charlotte's high school graduation. The three of them were grinning beside the happy graduate.

No photo of Jake in sight.

Jake's voice sounded behind me, "Hey dad, maybe you can avoid freaking out our guest."