V2 Ch8: "Dance Dance...Somethin"

3rd Person POV

Team JNPR Dorm

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, Y/n always wondered how things tend to go either perfectly right, or perfectly wrong.

Thankfully this situation could be considered part of the former, but still, what the fuck? The odds that his range from Ruby allowed him to move freely around the JNPR dorm no matter where Ruby was across the hall in their own dorm was stupid. Here he was though.

He sighed and chose to overlook it as he looked back in the standup mirror he had conjured in front of him.

Honestly, this was as formal as he was willing to tolerate, dressed for the most part comfortably in black dress pants and shoes. He wore a white collared  long sleeve button up shirt with a black, open front suit jacket with silver trimmings.

He thought about adding a bow tie...

Y/n: "...*sigh*...the things I do for you Ruby..."

With some hesitation, he conjured up a black bow tie with rose red lining. Casually summoning the accessory directly onto his outfit rather than trying to figure out how to tie the damn thing.

Even though he was able to summon it at the perfect fitness as to not choke home or anything, it still felt constricting. He seriously didnt like getting all dressed up. But...he wanted to look nice for Ruby.

He wasnt fixing his hair though. He just wouldnt. He'd come to like how it had grown down to his shoulders in thick messy black locks. He liked it. It felt good. It was staying that way.

No exceptions.

Ren: "I really dont understand your reluctance to dress up."

Y/n turned in Rens direction, the silent member of team JNPR putting the finishing touches on his suit in front of a similar mirror.

For the sake of decency, the three males of teams RWBY and JNPR were changing in the JNPR dorm, while the girls did so across the hall in the RWBY dorm. Jaune had been surprisingly speedy in his changing, and had already left.

Y/n: "Its just not really my style. You seem to be rollin right along with it though."

Ren hummed in response as he fixed his own bow tie. He smirked, a rare sight to be honest.

Ren: "I'll admit, I dont mind the opportunity to show off a little."

A short laugh left Y/n before he decided to bring up Rens chatty self.

Y/n: "Well at least your talking about something. Normally it's hard to get you to say anything."

Ren didnt respond at first.

"Any particular reason why if I may ask? I'm simply curious."

He seemed to think for a moment. It was highly likely that Ren hadnt even noticed the change himself.

Ren: "I suppose I find it easier to connect with you. I wont get into the nitty gritty of it but...Nora and I dont have the most...colorful...background."

Turning towards the door, Ren began to walk out, but stopped as he rested his hand on the doorknob.

"I suppose what I mean is I've seen through both lenses Y/n. You arent alone in that sense."

And like that Ren pulled open the door, departing with one final thing to say.

"We shouldn't keep the girls waiting."

Y/n merely stood staring at the open door for a moment in thought. He certainly hadnt expected that. He always had a feeling that there was more to Rens past than met the eye, but he was slightly ashamed of himself for not seeing anything.