Til Death Do Us Part

I couldn't choose between the two photos

Two agonizingly slow hours later, a doctor came out with a blank face. Naruto stood up so fast that he almost had to sit down from the dizziness, but he blinked away the blackness that threatened to take over and made his way to the doctor. Once he saw the doctor's face, his heart dropped, but he didn't want to believe it.

Naruto knew that face too well. He saw it in Sakura's face, Tsunade's, Hinata's, and occasionally his own. It was the face of bad news. It was the face of having to tell someone their loved one didn't make it. Even though he knew something happened, Naruto didn't want to believe it.

"Your daughter is in perfect condition. She's as healthy as could be. Your son is stable for now. We can go into details later. As for your wife... I'm sorry. We did all that we could." The doctor explained.

   "No. She can't be..." Naruto's eyes were surprisingly dry. It was probably the shock. It was just too shocking for the news to sink in.

   "Her heart was too weak-"

   "No! Hinata's the strongest person I know! She's... she's survived so much... so so much. It can't be over. She's only 21. She's only 21 and haven't met our children yet. And you're telling me it's over?" The more Naruto spoke, the more he sounded broken.

   "You can see her if you want." The doctor said. Naruto nodded and the doctor lead everyone towards the room Hinata's dead body was in.

   Rin wanted to be there for Naruto and show her support, but once she saw Hinata's lifeless body, she couldn't do it. She let out a gasp and ran out crying followed by Obito a few moments later. HM cried into her husband's chest. Hiashi held on to his wife and had to look away from her. Kushina and Minato held each other's hand as silent tears fell down their cheeks. Kakashi looked down and hid his tears well. Jiraiya had a solemn look on his face. He hadn't known the poor girl, but based on everyone's reactions, she was a wonderful person. And Naruto, poor Naruto, was the worst off.

   Naruto looked at Hinata's pale skin and icy blue lips. Her eyes were shut and she looked peaceful. Almost like she was only asleep. Naruto hesitantly took his hand and went to hold Hinata's, but the coldness made him back up. He looked absolutely broken as he reached for her hand again. Once he did make contact with her hand, he fell apart.

Naruto felt as though gravity tripled on him. He fell to the floor and cried. He cried harder than when Jiraiya died. He cried harder than when Iruka died. He cried harder than when Konohamaru died. He cried harder than he's ever cried before.

   All Naruto could think about, was how he lied. He lied when they said their vows. He vowed to love love and cherish her until death do them part. Well, there she was, dead. Guess what he still did, love and cherish her. He was certain he wouldn't ever stop.

   The next thing that consumed Naruto's thoughts, was the cruelty of this situation. He thought she was perfectly safe. He thought nothing could harm her. He thought he would finally be able to live a happy, safe life with her after he made sure Rin doesn't die. He was so excited for that to happen. So was Hinata. Was. Anything to do with Hinata is in the past. When he talked about her, he'd have to talk in past tense. No future, or present talk. Just the past. That's the only place she will ever be in. Gone. Snatched. Taken from Naruto, and he had no idea how to go on.

Naruto thought standing up would be a good start. So he shakily stood up, using the support of the bed Hinata was on, after he shed all his tears. He needed to check on his son. He needed to meet his daughter and son. He walked out of the room without looking back at Hinata knowing it would hurt too much.

   "Excuse me, sir, who are you trying to see?" A nurse asked Naruto.

   "My son. He's... he's sick or injured or something. I wasn't told the details. My daughter... I need to see my daughter too. She's healthy." Naruto muttered just loud enough for the nurse to hear.

   "What are their names and ages?"

   "They were born today. My daughter's name is Himawari. I haven't named my son yet. I... my wife... we weren't told we were having twins."

   "I can take you to where Himawari is, but I'll have to ask your doctor about your son." The nurse led Naruto to the place they could look at the babies from behind a glass thingy. The nurse left him there and went to the doctor in charge of the baby boy's health.

   Naruto looked for Himawari, but couldn't find her. He had only gotten a glimpse of her before he was rushed out, but he still knew what she looked like. So when he couldn't find her, he panicked. He couldn't go through it again. He couldn't lose his daughter too.

   Minato and Kushina weren't far behind Naruto. They saw Naruto's worried face and rushed to him. "What's wrong Naruto?"

   "I can't find her! I don't see Himawari. I can't go through this again. I can't." Naruto cried.

   "I'm sorry, sir. I took you to the wrong place. Himawari is currently with her brother. We are trying a new technique for sick babies. They place a sick baby next to a healthy baby and sick baby heals much faster. The tests have been mostly successful. It has saved many lives." The same nurse from earlier informed.

   "So she's ok?" Naruto asked. The nurse nodded making Naruto sigh in relief before getting worried again. "What about my Boruto, my son?"

"He's getting better. It looks like he's going to pull through and have a healthy life." The nurse smiled.

"Can we see them?" Naruto gave a mixture of a sad, relived, I'm so confused and this is way too much for me to handle in one day, small chuckle.

"Follow me." The nurse walked away and the trio did what she said.

The nurse took made them put on gloves and a mask and all that stuff before taking them to Boruto and Himawari. Himawari was asleep next to Boruto who was awake and looked so fragile and weak.

   "Can I hold them?" Naruto asked softly.

   "That would actually help, but you should know that every time we split them up, they cry until their together again." The nurse gave him permission.

   Naruto gently picked Boruto knowing he couldn't pick up him and Himawari. Boruto started crying once he was removed from his sister which woke up Himawari and she started crying too.

   Kushina picked Himawari up in hopes to calm her down. It failed. Naruto and Kushina stood next to each other so that Boruto and Himawari could see each other. That made them stop crying.

   "They're already taking care of each other." Naruto smiled down at the pair and found a new reason to live for.