Maybe... Just Maybe

Maybe... just maybe the stupid fox had a point. Naruto had five days to live, including this one. He kept thinking about Kurama's words. He knew Naruto better than Naruto knew himself. If Kurama said something about Naruto, it was probably true, and Naruto knew it.

   Naruto was standing in between Boruto and Himawari's crib. He was holding their hands- or they were holding on to one finger with their tiny hands- and thinking. It wasn't until Boruto farted and immediately started giggling, that Naruto made up his mind.

   "Alright, you old fox, you win. They deserve better than this, and I'm pretty sure if my younger self had heard me talk like that, he would call me pathetic and vow to never turn out like me." Naruto admitted.

   "About time. When are you going to learn that I'm always right and to never question me and my awesomeness?"

   "When you stop thinking your better than me."

   "I don't think so, I know so. I'm Kurama, the nine tailed fox, better than you puny hu-"

   "Aren't Boruto and Himawari just the cutest?"

   "Human, what are you doing?"

   "Did you hear Boruto's little fart and then his giggles? Adorable."

   "Fine! Fine, I'll stop. You're gonna make me hurl."

   "Thought so."

   "So where are you going to start at on your mission to survive?"

   "Figured I'll tell my parents and Hinata's parents. Then go from there."

———

   "Well, there's not exactly an easy way to say this, so I'm just gonna say it." Naruto looked at both his parents who were waiting patiently for him to continue. "I'm dying."

   "What? You're what now?" Kushina asked.

   "I told you before that I fought a guy who was trying to take Rin, what I didn't tell you, is that he injected me with a serum that will kill me in a week. I now have five days left including today." Naruto explained.

   "There's no cure, is there?" Minato frowned already knowing the answer.

"Not even a clue on for how to create it, but Rin was determined to find one. You should've seen her. She motivated the other two to help her find a cure and she didn't even try to persuade them. She just declared she was going to save me and the others joined." Naruto laughed.

"Then we better help. We'll help her and find you a cure in no time, ya know! What kind of parents would we be if we stood by and let our kid die? You're not dying any time soon." Kushina declared.

   Naruto finally figured out where he got his enthusiasm from. Minato loved his wife, but figured it was more than likely useless. He wanted Naruto to live, he did. He really loved his son, but he knew it would never work. That fact didn't stop him from at least trying though. I mean, anything was possible.

"Then what are we standing around here for? Let's go to the library and look for things." Minato said.

———

Once they entered the library, they were met by a sleeping Rin and Obito with a sleep deprived Kakashi reading an anatomy book. He looked about ready to pass out, but was still pretty focused.

"Kakashi? What are you doing here?" Minato asked.

"Not getting any sleep, that's for sure. Heck, I might even join Naruto-sensei in the grave at this point." Kakashi realized what he said and stared wide eyed at Minato and Kushina.

"Relax, they know." Naruto smiled.

"You told them? That's good. It's hard keeping secrets from your sensei." Kakashi yawned.

"I decided it would be helpful if they knew. I mean, it's hard to find a cure with only four people." Naruto said.

"About time you came around." Kakashi muttered.

"Ugh, now you sound like Kurama." Naruto rolled his eyes.

"What about Boruto and Himawari?" Kakashi finished the book he was on and started on the next book in the stack.

"I told HM and Hiashi the situation. She's watching Boruto and Himawari while she goes through some old Hyuga scrolls for something, and Hiashi said that ince he's done with some Hyuga stuff he'll try to help too." Naruto made the clones he created start reading the books in the stack too. "You should take a break, sleep, eat, you look like a mess. I doubt you can actually contain any more information in the state you're in."

Kakashi looked up from his book for the first time since he started reading to shoot Naruto a glare before going back to reading. "Don't ever underestimate me like that again. I guess you didn't learn anything about your sensei." Kakashi scoffed.

"Oh, I did. How do you think I know you read porn all the time in public?" Naruto smirked.

"Shut up and read. I'm never turning into that."

"If you say so."

'Hey, Kurama, I don't suppose you would know anything that could help me.'

"If I did, you'd know by now."

   'Just checking.'

   Naruto was determined to stay alive. He needed to stay alive for his kids. He was terrified they'd be put in the same situation he was put in when he was younger. They didn't deserve that. They deserved to have a father. The father Naruto didn't have growing up. So, yeah, he was determined. And nothing could stop a determined Naruto. Not even death itself.