Chapter 1

"Shh, shh, shh . . . alright, baby. I know Ava, I know, this is a lot of moving and traveling for you bambina mia. I know baby, we're almost finished too, okay? One more car ride and . . . and mommy's going crazy, talking to you like any of it is gonna stop this temper tantrum." I sighed as I bounced my crying three-month-old daughter.

The plane trip from Detroit here, to Forks, was not easy on either of us. An hour and a half flight from Detroit to Chicago, 2-hour layover, then an almost 5-hour flight to Forks. A packed flight too and Ava was not having her first plane trip.

Now we're waiting for her great-grandmother to pick us up from the airport. Ava's father and I grew up in Detroit, but his family is originally from Forks. We were best friends growing up, best friends all of our lives until he was murdered last month.

After years of failed relationships on both of our sides, we wondered why things had never turned romantic between us so we decided to try it out. It wasn't bad but we weren't relationship material, not at all, we worked better as friends. We laughed about it and considered it a good internal joke between us.

When I found out that I was pregnant (the sex between us was great though) he was so happy and he was there every step of the way, morning sickness and all. The two months that the three of us had together were amazing. Chris would've been an amazing dad for Ava to grow up with but a serial killer on the loose had a different plan.

The invitation to move to Forks with his grandmother surprised me but it wasn't a surprise at the same time. Our families were very close growing up, neighbors as well. My family was amazing, when I was 5, I was adopted by the Rossi's and they changed my life. I lost them too, three years ago in a car accident and both of my brothers are in the Navy, they're SEALS. We get together whenever they touch dirt and I couldn't be more proud of them. We talk as much as possible but send letters more often than not. As soon as I get my own place I'll send them a new letter with some photos and the new address.

I can't do this alone, raise a baby, and get a good job to provide for her. After Chris's funeral, his grandmother invited me to Forks. She retired here five years ago, we were heartbroken when she left but being here makes her happy. Grandma Morgan and Chris were so close, now that he's no longer with us I want to make sure that she's a part of Ava's life.

At first, I was a little apprehensive about moving here. I've lived in Detroit all of my life, but grandma Morgan convinced me and even set up a job interview for me. I'm lucky, absolutely lucky to have her in my life.

Reigning my thoughts back to my present situation I realized that Ava was finally quiet, thank you, Jesus. It's still early, especially with the time difference. We left Detroit at 8 am and 10 ½ hours later we arrived in Seattle at 3:30. Ava started fussing again, so I started the sway and bounce.

"Bambina della mamma, andrà' tutto bene." I muttered. (mommy's baby girl, everything's going to be okay) 

"Valentina!" I heard, seeing the brunette woman jumping up and down about 30 feet away.

"Grandma Morgan!" I sighed when she wrapped her arms around me.

"Look at you, I swear you get more beautiful every time I see you." she said.

"You're one to talk, you don't look a day over 40." I argued.

"55 looks good doesn't it?"

Grandma Morgan was a teen mom back in the day and her babies had their babies early so she's a relatively young great grandmother. She takes very good care of herself too; clean eating, exercise, and all that jazz. She's just a really amazing person, on the inside and out and I really appreciate everything that she's doing for us.

"If I look like you do at 55 then I'll be a happy camper." I said.

"You're too sweet. You hungry?"

"Starving." I quickly replied.

"Let's go to the diner. Val, sweetie, where are the rest of your things?" she asked, looking down at my suitcases.

I brought one big suitcase, one medium-sized suitcase, a duffel bag, and Ava's diaper bag.

"Everything I need is here, the rest is in transit."

"I told you to bring your things. Two big suitcases, a travel-sized and . . ." she argued.

"I brought the important things. Did my car get here okay?"

"Yup, parked in front of the house waiting for you."

"Alright, let me set her down and we can roll out."

"She's getting so big Valentina."

"Ugh, don't remind me. Shh, shh, shh . . . we're almost done piccola." I said.

"Are you gonna teach her Italian?"

"That's the plan but not until a little later, I don't want to make learning one language more difficult." I said as we maneuvered the bags and car seat.

"How was the trip?" grandma Morgan asked.

"Yeah, Ava does not like to travel. She's been fussy all day."

"How long in total?"

"Ten and a half hours, this time change has me a little wonky."

"You'll get used to it quickly, don't worry. Now, I took the next two days off of work to help you settle in and get comfortable."

"Thank you, but I told you not to do that." I argued as we put the bags in the back of her Jeep Compass.

"Are you kidding me? Two days with my great-granddaughter? I'll take them happily."

"She's gonna love it."

"Alright, let's get out of here and get some food in you."

There's something about a Philly cheesesteak sandwich from a diner that's just delicious. Either that or I'm just really, very hungry, who knows. Ava got lots of attention from the employees that were friends of grandma Morgan. I received condolences that I felt hypocritical accepting but she just brushed it off.

Grandma Morgan knew that Chris and I weren't together and he warned me about small-town minds too. He had mentioned moving here to raise Ava before dying, it's part of why I accepted. I could do this one last thing for him. By the time we left, I was just ready to lay down and rest a little.

"Grandma Morgan, where are we going? Isn't your house straight down that road?" I asked when she veered left from the path that I barely recognized.

"I want to show you something." she smiled.

Honestly speaking, I just want to take a nap but after everything she's done today, it would be rude of me to argue. Not to mention the fact that I'm in her car so I can't really argue at all. She drove for about seven extra minutes before stopping in front of the house. When I looked up I was surprised to see my car parked in the driveway of this pretty two-story house.

"I'm confused, did you move? I'm gonna have to call the post office and . . . where are you going?" I asked.

I followed her out of the car, more confused as ever by her silence as she took Ava out of her car seat, tucking her blanket tightly around the baby. I'm just ready to take a shower and nap but I'll play along with her.

"Grandma Morgan, when did you move? Why didn't you tell me that you got a new house?" I insisted, thinking about all of the changes I have to make now.

"That's because I didn't." she replied.

"What?"

"Valentina, this is your house." she said, holding up a key.