Chapter 4 - Was it missing?

Original Author's Note:
So, one quick thing, the painting wasn't finished but the ball is supposed to take place in three days. Logically finishing the painting and then distributing it all over would take a significant amount of time. Minor error on my part in story writing. Pretend it's three WEEKS instead. I plan to go back and change that at some point in the future. Sorry about that.

Kit was practically beside himself when lunchtime finally arrived. Rushing out the door the second he was free from the state business his father had wanted him to be a part of, he hastened to the stables where Captain Alistair promised to be waiting for him. He reached the stables but the grin on his face lessened when he noticed ten members of the guard on horseback next to the Captain. He didn't like having a procession following him in this endeavor. He looked at Captain Alistair who merely shook his head silently communicating this was the only way Kit would be leaving the palace grounds.

Frowning, he approached Eric who held Tiberius by the reigns. "I was surprised to hear that you would be venturing out into the woods again today, Sire," he said as he passed Kit the reigns. "I was going to change out Tiberius' shoes but I can do that when you return."

"Thank you Eric," Kit said, leaping into the saddle. "I apologize for the inconvenience to your duties. We won't be gone long."

Eric stepped back and Kit spurred Tiberius towards the West Gate again.

"You realize this is going to cause an even bigger stir among the servants than yesterday," Captain Alistair commented as he guided Boreas to fall into trot next to Tiberius.

Kit shrugged. "Let them think what they will, Alistair, though I must say it doesn't help that you summoned up to three times as many guards to accompany us today compared to yesterday."

It was an unspoken question desiring explanation. Captain Alistair sighed. "The Grand Duke overheard some servants gossiping about your display yesterday."

Kit shifted nervously in his seat. "What did he say to you?"

"He wanted to know why you went out to the forest and I told him you merely wanted to go for a ride."

"He didn't ask about the roses?"

"No but he did ask if you were going out to the forest again anytime soon."

Kit groaned. "Of course you had to tell him we were going today. No wonder he was observing me closer than usual during the meetings this morning. I assume he is the reason the guard has tripled?"

"Yes," Captain Alistair confirmed. "I fear we may have a spy among us."

A deep scowl lined Kit's face. "Of course," he muttered. "Well then, we'll just have to make this appear as if it is merely a ride then, shall we?"

"If we do that, how are you going to stop when we reach the spot you left the bouquet?"

Kit grinned. "Don't worry, Captain. I'll think of something." Glancing over his shoulder, he noticed several of the guards' eyes shift away from him. That wasn't suspicious at all. "Hmph. Discretion is going to have to be taken, Captain."

"Agreed, Your Highness."

They reached the West Gate and the servants almost went into a frenzy at the sight of the prince and his guards. Prudence, the ever present taskmaster, noticed the cause of the servants' distraction and frowned. She marched over to Kit and placed her hands on her hips.