Chapter 15 - She's missing, Your Majesty

Warning: There is going to be a minor mention of Physical Abuse.

Kit woke with the sun streaming through his window, the soft rays catching against the glass shoes sending a soft glare into his eyes. A deep smile lit his face and a sigh escaped him as he thought of everything that had transpired. He couldn't believe that just yesterday he had woken in the Nightingale Inn pretending to be a member of the Royal Guard without any idea who Ella really was or if he'd even find her. So much had happened. He'd found his mystery princess, had been introduced to the most intelligent animals he'd ever met, became betrothed, and finished off the evening without having to deal with one hint of state business. It had been a day of magic.

Kit's euphoria was interrupted, however, when the doors to his room were flung open. "You're Majesty, forgive me for the rude interruption," Captain Alistair said as he strode into the room.

Kit sat up at once. "I'm sure you have a perfect explanation, Captain," he said with a questioning eyebrow.

"Sire, it's the Lady Ella," Prudence said breathlessly, running into his chambers before stopping beside Captain Alistair.

Kit flung the covers aside and leapt out of bed in nothing but a pair of trousers. "What is it? Is she alright?" he demanded, fully alert and unaware of the state of his dress in the presence of a lady.

Prudence's face turned bright red before she whizzed around with her back to him. Kit, confused by her behavior, looked to Captain Alistair who threw him his crimson robe. Immediately understanding, Kit quickly covered himself before demanding again, "What's happened to Ella?"

"That's just it, Sire, we don't know," the Captain replied.

"What do you mean?"

"She's missing, Your Majesty," Prudence cried. "We went in to wake her and couldn't find her anywhere."

"What?" Kit shouted, running out of the room barefoot, his robe trailing along like some weird cape behind him. He reached her room in seconds, his eyes raking over the place fruitlessly. "Ella?" he called but there wasn't an answer. Frowning, he twisted around to find the Captain and Prudence running into the room, both of their chests heaving. "I want every guard looking for her. Search every inch of the grounds if you have to!"

"Right away, Your Highness," Captain Alistair said with a hasty bow before disappearing.

"Prudence, interrogate every servant you come across. Someone has to have seen her!"

"What are you going to do?" Prudence wondered.

"I'm not going to sit around and do nothing!" Kit replied, already making for the hall. "I'll search every inch of this palace if I have to."

And so the hunt began as every soldier, servant, and even the King himself ran everywhere in the castle, scourging every room, leaving no stone unturned. After searching the entire left wing of the palace without a trace of her, Kit was entertaining the horrible thought that maybe the Grand Duke had done something when a servant dressed in a cook's uniform rushed up to him. "Your Majesty," he cried, coming to a halt, wheezing, "I heard you were looking for a charming young lady with hair of gold."

"Have you found her?" Kit demanded.

"Yes Sire," the man wheezed. "She's in the kitchen."

Without a word Kit ran flat out down the hall, rushing around corners, weaving in and out of servants, and nearly falling down the steps in his haste to reach the kitchens below. At the bottom of the stairs a crowd of servants, guards, and Octavius, the head butler, had gathered. It appeared as if they were afraid to enter the kitchen.