Chapter 30 - Seaside Cottage

Kit smiled over Ella's delighted gasp. A lovely carriage pulled by four magnificent brown horses stood waiting for them surrounded by three divisions of the Royal Guard, all of them on horseback ready to depart. Peter was the only one standing on the ground and at the sight of them, he bowed.

"Your Majesties," he greeted. "Everything is ready to go per your request, Sire."

Kit smiled. "Thank you, Peter."

"Are you coming with us?" Ella asked.

"Of course, my lady," he answered, smiling. "Wherever the royal family travels, I must go as well."

"Shall we be off, Ella?" Kit asked, indicating towards the carriage.

She nodded enthusiastically. "Please!"

The carriage was enclosed, the interior padded with soft ruby red velvet. Kit was also delighted Alistair had carried out the order to have Ella's animal friends waiting inside for them. Ella let out a cry of delight when she saw them, holding out her hands and laughing lightly as the mice scurried over her fingers. Her joy became greater when Galahad poked his head in the carriage window from the other side.

"They're coming with us?" she gasped, turning around to Kit who had just finished settling in after closing the door.

"Well, we can't properly celebrate your birthday without your family, now can we?"

Her face softened and she leaned over, kissing his cheek. "Thank you so much."

Kit returned the gesture before rapping his knuckles against the top of the carriage, signifying to the driver they could depart whenever they were ready. Galahad made sure to remove himself from the window before the carriage started moving. Ella leaned against Kit and sighed, her head resting peacefully on his shoulder. The animals all curled up in her lap with the exception of Mr. Goose who rested by her side. Kit smiled tenderly as he laced his fingers through Ella's.

"We're going to be on the road for a while," he admitted.

"That's alright," Ella muttered, snuggling up to him. "I'd love to know where we're going but you're not going to tell me, are you?"

"I'm afraid not," Kit laughed, "But, there is one little thing that I couldn't avoid in this little trip."

Ella was about to inquire just what that might be when she heard the cheers of a loud gathering of people. Removing herself from his shoulder, she glanced out the window and gasped.

"The people found out about your birthday trip," Kit replied, smiling sheepishly as the crowd cheered outside. "They've gathered to see us off. This is the first time they get to see us together, even if they can't see much. I chose the enclosed carriage because I wasn't sure how comfortable you were exposing yourself to them just yet."

She graced the crowd with a wave and a smile before leaning back. "I'm glad you did," she admitted. "I must admit I'm rather unsure how to react in a parade."

Kit smiled gently. "Mostly you just smile, sit straight, and wave occasionally. It can be a little boring after a while."

"But not for the people," Ella said, nodding.

"Which is why we have to be cheerful for them throughout the encounter," Kit replied. "And we would have to be on our best behavior."

"Well then, it's a good thing we're in an enclosed carriage," Ella muttered, leaning over to kiss him, "because I can kiss you all I want."

Kit smiled into her kiss. "That is one of the benefits."

Though there were multiple kisses shared, they made sure to wave and smile as the carriage proceeded through town. Kit had to hand it to the people; the moment they'd found out the king was taking his future queen out of the palace for her birthday, they'd set to work cleaning and decorating the streets. Streamers of yellow and blue hung overhead every few feet, floral arrangements danced around the lamp posts, and confetti was flung constantly in the air. Kit would have thought they were celebrating a wedding ceremony over the amount of fanfare taking place.