Chapter 18 - Ella's reaction to her stepmother's cruelty

Ella stood at the window, her back to Kit. They'd just finished going through the forms delivered by Captain Alistair. Kit looked upon his beloved not knowing if he should let her have her space or wrap her in his arms. Her shoulders shook a little and miniscule gasps were escaping her. Her arms were wrapped around her body as if she was trying to keep herself from shattering.

Compelled to act, Kit got to his feet and enveloped her in a warm embrace. She twisted around and buried her face into the crook of his neck, her thin form shaking uncontrollably as she cried. "She tried to take everything from us," she choked out. "My father wanted another chance at happiness but she had no intentions of giving it to him."

Kit kissed her hair while rubbing her back soothingly. He didn't know what to say so he said nothing at all. They stayed like that for another couple minutes before Ella regained control of herself. She pulled away a little, allowing Kit to search her face. "Are you going to be alright?" he asked.

She nodded while wiping her cheeks.

"Ella, Alistair is still collecting information." Pain filled her face so he hurriedly finished, "I feel it would be detrimental to share anything else with you."

"But I can't throw this entire burden on you," she protested.

"My darling, I am more than capable of handling this situation. I can look upon this without experiencing hurt. You, however, will continue to be emotionally scarred and I'd rather spare you from that."

"But the anger you feel…" Ella still protested.

"I may be angry but that anger is from the injustice you have endured. It won't cloud my judgment."

Ella looked down at the floor. "I don't want you to suffer over what has been done to my family."

Kit took her hands and kissed them. "Ella, your family is my family."

A sad smile graced her lips. "Then my stepmother and stepsisters are your family too."

Kit couldn't prevent the shudder that passed through him. Those horrible women… His reaction only caused Ella to become depressed. Pulling her hands from his, she muttered, "You don't want to get entangled in their web. Maybe it would be best if…"

"Don't even think I'm going to break off my engagement to you because of them!" Kit interrupted. "Ella, though they are your family, they have committed treason against the crown by ignoring a royal edict, abusing the future queen, and conspiring with the Grand Duke to keep you from me. Family or not, they must answer to the demands of justice."

Ella studied him for a long time before coming to a decision. "Alright," she muttered. "I'll leave further investigation up to you. I've already forgiven them for what they have done to me. I know that forgiveness is the only way to truly allow myself to heal. My mother always taught that dwelling means festering and festering will never set you free. Freedom, happiness, and healing come when you let go. Forgiving them doesn't mean I am going to forget or that I am not going to grieve. It doesn't mean I am going to trust them again either. I am choosing to give up resentment and condemnation. I trust that you will make the right decision concerning their fate."

He knew this was hard for her. The raw pain in her eyes was testimony of this but he could also see a relief, like a burden being lifted. Even her shoulders seemed to relax as she said these words. Kit couldn't help think how inspiring she was. Her forgiveness was remarkable and it made him desire to be a better person. She had placed her stepfamily in his hands not because she was a coward but because she wanted to let go. She wanted to heal. She understood that the laws of justice were his to make as king and she was therefore leaving the trials and judgments to him.