Chapter 24 - Fury of the Royal Housekeeper

The mice, Mr. Lizard, and Mr. Goose were overjoyed to see Kit, all of them bowing to him before scurrying around in excitement. Kit chuckled. "I apologize for not coming to see you for so long. I brought a peace offering to make up for it." He set the napkin full of cheese on the bed and watched as the mice happily raced over to devour the yellow morsels; Gus Gus grabbing the biggest piece.

Ella had somehow managed to sneak a piece of bread in her other hand without Kit's notice which she happily gave to Mr. Goose. The bird devoured it immediately. Mr. Lizard, Ella assured, was fine with the flies that wandered into the room and appeared quite content to laze on the mattress while the others happily ate the food brought to them.

"I was thinking of having Mr. Goose and Mr. Lizard moved to the greenhouse," Ella told Kit as they sat on the bed watching the animals. "They are getting cooped up here in my room. The mice leave through the walls all the time. The four of them have become quite adventurous. Don't worry, they're not eating through any of the woodwork."

Kit laughed. "I'm sure others before them already did the job. Don't worry, Ella, I have no problems with them wandering around. I think it will be nice for Mr. Goose and Mr. Lizard to live in the greenhouse. It's a large place and they'll be able to roam around in a more natural habitat."

"What do you two think?" she asked, addressing the ones in question. Both nodded vigorously. "Then it's decided!" Ella said happily. "Oh, Kit, I also wondered…"

"Yes?"

"Back on my estate there is a small family of blue birds. I wondered if I could ask them to also live in the greenhouse. Would that be alright if they wanted to?"

Kit smiled at her. "My darling, I think that would be a grand idea."

"Will you come with me to ask them? We can bring Galahad and Tiberius with us. I'm sure they would love to get out of the stables for a while."

"I would love to," Kit replied. "Let's plan that for Sunday, shall we?"

Ella smiled as she gave him a deep hug. "Thank you… for accepting my friends."

Kit kissed her hair. "Thank you for allowing me to be part of your life, Ella."

"Thank you for allowing me to be part of yours," she muttered, kissing his cheek.

Kit felt as if he were in heaven again. He allowed himself to kiss Ella delicately on the lips before reminding himself that he still needed to speak with Captain Alistair. Sighing, he pulled away. "I'm afraid duty beckons, Ella."

She nodded knowingly. "We still have to talk to Captain Alistair."

"We do," Kit replied. "Would you like to accompany me again?"

"Of course," she said, standing. "See you later," she waved to the animals.

They stopped what they were doing to bow again. Kit chuckled as he waved as well. "They really are remarkable," he commented as he and Ella walked down to Kit's private study. Ella agreed. Along the way, they passed a servant and Kit asked if they would be so kind as to send Captain Alistair to his private study. The man servant bowed deeply and assured his would carry out the message immediately before turning on his heel and quickly rushing off.

Kit and Ella had only been in his study for a few minutes before the Captain's distinctive knock sounded on the door. Kit had offered his chair to Ella, choosing to remain standing through this matter.

"Come in," he invited.

Captain Alistair entered with a curious eye, his smile deepening when he noticed Ella in the room. Bowing to both of them, he asked, "What can I do for you, Your Majesty, my lady?"