Chapter 7 - After effects of the Ball

Kit climbed the palace steps cradling the slipper in both his hands as if he were carrying the most precious thing on the entire face of the earth and, to him, it was since it represented his princess. He had no desire to return to the ball and continue dancing with other women when the only one he wanted to be with was now gone.

Why had she run off? What was this about lizards and pumpkins? Why did she look so petrified when bending down to pick up her shoe? And why would she leave such a precious thing behind? Kit couldn't figure it out. One moment they were happily conversing in his garden and the next she was rushing away in a whirlwind of fabric.

And, confound it all, he still didn't know her name!

What irony. She was just about to tell him and then the clock's chime propelled her away. Did she have a curfew or something? Why would she on the night of a ball? Usually such things lasted until the early hours of the morning. She would have known this so why did she leave?

Kit wandered down the palace hallway in a daze, his hands still clutching the glass slipper. The craftsmanship was impeccable, the clear cut of glass glistening with small rainbows in the shimmering light coming from the candles mounted to the walls and ceiling. A beautiful butterfly rested at the base of the shoe over the toe. His princess was just like the creature; light, remarkable, and free to flutter away wherever she longed to go.

He sighed.

"Kit?"

Kit jumped but his hands kept a firm hold on the shoe as he turned around. The king was walking towards him in concern. "Where on earth are you going, my boy? The ball is that way," he said, pointing behind him.

Kit glanced down the hall then at the slipper in his hand. He didn't know what to say. "I… she..."King Rowan approached, noticing the delicate shoe for the first time. "Is that shoe made of glass?"

Kit nodded. "It belongs to her, father. She left it on the steps just now."

"Why on earth would she leave such a remarkable thing behind?" King Rowan wondered, peering down at the slipper.

"I don't know," Kit said. "She was in a hurry."

"Chased her off did you?" the king teased.

Kit frowned. "I don't believe I did. We were conversing out in the gardens when she suddenly stood up and announced she had to leave."

"I wonder why," the king mused.

Kit rolled the glass slipper around in his hands, lost in thought. His father was staring at him but Kit wasn't paying the slightest attention. He'd been carried away to the earlier events of the evening when he was holding her in his arms, guiding her around the ballroom.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness!"

For the second time, Kit was caught by surprise. Looking up, he saw the Grand Duke coming towards him. His breath caught in his throat as he looked at him expectantly.

The Grand Duke shook his head. "I'm sorry, Sire, she slipped away."

"How?" Kit demanded. Surely the royal guard would have caught up to a carriage!

"The gate came loose right after the carriage passed," Captain Alistair answered, walking up to join the three men. "The next available exit was three blocks away in another section of the city. Even if we used it, we wouldn't have caught up with her."

"Captain, I want you to spare no effort in searching the road for her," Kit commanded.

"Kit, what you suggest is not practical," his father chided. "You'll have the entire guard sweeping every section of the kingdom all night for some girl?""She isn't just some girl, father!" Kit snapped, stepping away from him. "She's…" he paused, unwilling to continue this conversation around so many ears.