Chapter 38 - A Courageous and Kind Queen

It had been five days since the wedding night and it was understandable that no one had seen hide nor hair of either the King or new Queen, as both were positively content to remain in their chamber the entire time. Knowing smirks rested on all who were in the castle and happiness reigned through the kingdom as the people continued to celebrate the union, all still overjoyed that their king had married one of their own.

As the dawning of the sixth day lit the inner chamber of the royal's dwelling, Kit actually found himself the first to rise. This was quite the surprise since normally it was Ella, her dark eyes being the first thing to greet him in the morning. Kit's arms were still wrapped securely around her thin torso, her bare skin comfortably warm under his touch. Kit smiled as he leaned in close and kissed her forehead.

"Hmmm," Ella sighed, cuddling closer into his chest.

Kit smiled tenderly, his thumb and forefinger lightly playing with one of her locks of hair. The past five days had been remarkable and Kit honestly couldn't believe the complete and utter bliss he had to fortune of experiencing with the woman of his dreams.

Unfortunately, today was to mark the end of their uninterrupted bliss. Well, mostly uninterrupted – the servants came in to bring them food and quickly straighten the room, hastening for the exit right after doing so.

Kit sighed.

"I don't want to get up either," a soft, melodious voice muttered against his chest.

Kit grinned. He should have known she would wake when he wasn't looking. Staring down, he found her gorgeous brown eyes peering up at him, a contented smile gracing her lips.

"Hi," he greeted down at her.

"Hello," she sighed, stretching slightly.

"How are you feeling?" Kit asked.

"Not so sore today," she soothed, kissing his shoulder, "and definitely not as much the first time we made love."

He kissed her hair. "That's good."

The two lay in comfortable silence for a moment longer before Ella decided it was time to get out of bed. Kit filled with pleasure as he watched his wife's bare form slip out from under the sheets to bend over to pick up her robe. He couldn't stop the small frown as her body disappeared behind it.

Catching his eye, Ella laughed. "This won't be the last time you see me like this you know."

Kit smirked, climbing out of bed to hug her from behind. "I should hope not," he muttered, kissing her neck where several love marks rested.

Ella shivered happily. "Kit, if you don't stop, I fear I just might push you onto the bed."

"Would that be such a bad thing?" he asked, his lips brushing against her skin.

Ella gently took his hands and stepped away from him, eyeing him in amusement before bending down to throw his robe at his chest. Kit sighed, knowing that for now he'd have to wait until later to satisfy his love for her. He just finished tying the stings of his robe together when Ella pulled the rope to summon the servants.

Kit stared at her, remembering how far she'd come since the first day he'd brought her to the palace. Back then, Ella had been terrified to summon another servant but just now she'd pulled the cord without a second thought. She'd had to stand up and face her fears, her insecurities, and shine forth her courage and kindess in every situation and challenge placed before her. What was remarkable to Kit was that through everything, she'd still remained the good honest country girl he'd fallen in love with.

She turned and stared at him curiously. "What are you smiling about?" she questioned taking his hands.

"You," Kit replied. "I'm just reveling in how my Queen has been able to stay the good honest country girl I love more than life itself." He studied her a moment more. "Ella, are you sure you are ready to do this?"