Chapter 25 - Why did you run that night, Lady Ella?

Kit stood in his private study, his eyes focused on the palace grounds displayed before him through the windows. He'd sent out the royal decree this morning concerning the matter of the new royal changes in staff as well as the official announcement of his engagement to Ella and their wedding day. Last night at dinner, he and Captain Alistair answered all of Peter's questions concerning his new position; his wife Jane was not present, still being sick with fever. Peter assured them that it was nothing serious, just a slight illness the doctor surmised would be overcome in the course of a couple days. Ella had been fairly quiet through all of dinner but that was because she was listening to Kit and Alistair's answers with just as much rapture as Peter. The adorable thing was trying to learn as much as she could. She really was an overachiever. Again she had eaten very little but Kit had been told by the royal physician that it would take a few weeks for Ella's eating habits to change. He suggested pushing her every few days to eat a little more so her stomach could slowly expand and Kit had done so.

Thinking of Ella, Kit wondered when she would arrive. He'd spoken to her instructors the other day about treating her better, listening to her opinions, and being open to try different things. Today had been the start of those newly refined lessons and he was eager to learn how they went. He glanced at the clock. Ella should have finished her morning lessons by now. Where was she?

Just then there came a soft knock on the door and Kit's face broke into a large grin. Striding to the door, he pulled it open and there she stood; his angel. Her outfit was positively stunning, a gown made for a queen. The bodice and skirt were bright yellow, a cerulean blue sash wrapped around her waist separating the two. Exquisite embroidery in the same blue climbed from the base of the skirt up towards the waist, the floral pattern decreasing into points, the spaces between each about a foot apart. A sapphire necklace and tear drop earrings – his gift to her for today – decorated her neck and ears. Part of her hair had been pulled up into a little bun while the rest trailed freely about her shoulders.

"Ella," he said fondly, pulling her into a sweet embrace. "You look lovely."

"Thank you," she smiled.

"How were your lessons? Did the instructors treat you better?"

She nodded. "They did. They promised they'd try their best to listen to my opinions and debate over who was right and who was wrong."

"And did they?"

"Yes!" she answered happily. "It was actually kind of fun."

Kit smiled. "I'm glad."

Ella's eyes lit up as a small laugh escaped her. "I just noticed... we're matching."

"What?" Kit asked.

Ella giggled. "We're both wearing yellow and blue. Was that planned?"

Kit blinked before looking down. Indeed they were matching, he wearing a blue jacket, yellow cravat, yellow vest, and white pants – the jacket having yellow embroidery on the cuffs and collar. "I think the servants schemed this," he muttered, amused. "I don't blame them. We are introducing you to the nobility today and what better way than to have the two of us sporting the colors of the royal family?"

Ella swallowed; her nerves apparent on her face. "I do hope I don't embarrass you."

Kit gently took her hand and kissed it. "You could never do such a thing."

She smiled gratefully at him before stepping into the room. "I'm the first to arrive then?" she asked when she found the room empty.

"Yes, which is partially laughable since women tend to wear more layers than men do," Kit chuckled as he followed her inside.