Chapter 8 - Death of the King and Coronation of Kit

Death of the King and Coronation of Kit

The walk to the king's private bedroom seemed to take an eternity. Kit's mind was harrowed up with memories, good and bad. The last conversation he'd had with his father had been a sour one. He couldn't - he wouldn't! - let that be the last one they shared.

He made it to his father's room. Captain Alistair was standing at the door while four attendants in yellow overcoats stood within. Kit's eyes briefly met the Captain's. They were filled with grief. Kit walked inside. The physician inclined his head, unwilling to meet his inquiring gaze. Kit swallowed though it was rather difficult to do so. Already his eyes were beginning to sting with unshed tears.

The King lay in the bed, his skin pale, his breath shallow. "Oh you've come," he gasped. "Good."

Over come with great sorrow, Kit deeply frowned. "Oh Father, don't go," he pled.

"I must," he said as Kit sat down beside him, clasping his hand. "You needn't be alone. Take a bride, the Princess Chelina. What if I commanded you to do so?"

Kit had been afraid his father would do something like this but he'd made up his mind. He knew that the only way for him to be the man the kingdom needed him to be, he had to marry for love, even if that meant defying the one man he respected more than anyone else in the entire world.

Kit's miniscule smile was grave as he looked at his father, his heart breaking while he shook his head. "I love and respect you, but I will not." Taking a deep breath, he continued, "I believe that we need not to look outside of our borders for strength or guidance. What we need is right before us and we need only have courage and be kind to see it."

King Rowan stared at him for a moment. "Just so. You've become your own man," he replied weakly but proud. "Good. Then perhaps, in the little time left to me, I can become the father you deserve." Kit's eyes filled with tears as his father drew a haggard breath. "You must not marry for advantage. You must marry for love. Find that girl. Find her! The one they're all talking about. The forgetful one -"

"- who loses her shoes," Kit finished with him. Both chuckled.

"Oh, be cheerful boy," King Rowan sighed.

"Thank you, father," Kit whispered tenderly. His heart was breaking. In his last breaths, his father had softened and eased his troubled heart.

"Thank you, Kit," the king whispered. Those few words conveyed more meaning to Kit than anything else. A tear fell down his face. His father smiled up at him. "I love you son."

"I love you father," he replied, his voice choked with emotion.

King Rowan lifted his arm and Kit bent down, placing his head against his chest. His father rested his hand tenderly across him and breathed his last breaths. Kit's heart broke as he curled up on the bed, his tears unrestrained as they fell in rivulets down on his cheeks.

His father was gone.

o0o0o

Ella was in the middle of scrubbing floors, bubbles flowing all around with each time she plunged her hand into the wash bucket to dampen her rag. Her hands, arms, and back ached. Her stepmother had given her a huge list to complete early the next morning, something she only did when she was in a particularly foul mood. Ella believed it was because neither Drezella nor Anastasia were able to secure their hands on the prince. A small secretive smile had claimed Ella's face all day and she tried to hide it from her step mother and stepsisters by wearing her hair loose. Now that she was doing the floors, however, she had to have it out of the way so she could get down and scrub the grout in the dining room which was covered with spatters of food. She was a little upset because she was sure the floor hadn't been this dirty when she cleaned it four days ago. Ella didn't like accusations, however, so she merely wrote it off as being the result of heartily consumed meals.