Chapter 21 - Adventure into the Royal Guards' chambers

"I must say that I am highly against this, my lady!" Prudence protested for the hundredth time as Ella changed into a servant's uniform; she refused to have anyone help her dress.

"I know you don't understand what is going on but you have to trust me, Prudence," Ella said, trying to appease the Housekeeper. Even though she had a tough exterior, Ella had seen and experienced the woman's tender heart. Prudence may be rough but she was also filled with kindness and that had drawn Ella to her. "This is an assignment from the king."

"Assignment or not, the future queen parading around as a servant girl is outrageous!"

Ella smiled, shaking her head. "Prudence, in case you forgot, not even a week ago I was a servant myself."

"Hmph!" Prudence snorted. "Ragged slave is more appropriate. The nerve of those women! Treating you the way they had was inexcusable!"

Prudence's ferocity towards the Tremaines was due to the fact that she had seen the malnutrition and the bruises on Ella's body the day Kit had rescued her. Ella made her and the other five servants in the room who saw them swear a vow of silence; these things were part of her past and she wanted them to stay that way. Prudence never outright spoke of the bruises but she did voice how terrible Ella's abuse was – this being one of those times.

Ella tucked the long sleeve yellow shirt into the bright blue skirt around her waist before slipping her feet into a pair of soft slippers. Though the servants clothing wasn't embroidered, the fabrics were incredibly soft to the touch and they appeared new. Ella had thought that she might be more comfortable in these clothes but the truth was she still felt out of place. How pathetic, she thought to herself. She even thought palace servants were higher than her. Trying to hide her feelings, Ella turned to Prudence and the other two servant girls standing in the room.

"What do you think?" she asked.

Prudence scowled. Shaking her head, she muttered something that sounded like "inappropriate" before sighing disdainfully, "You look like a servant."

"Excellent!" Ella said happily, turning back to look at herself one more time in the mirror. She pulled her hair over her left shoulder to brush it.

Prudence, ever observant, suddenly gasped. Ella twisted around. "What?" she asked concerned, for Prudence was staring at her in horror and the servant girls behind her had expressions of shocked disbelief.

"What is that?" Prudence demanded, her voice a deathly whisper.

"What?" Ella repeated, bewildered.

"That!" Prudence shrieked, pointing at the side of Ella's neck.

Ella turned her head and looked in the mirror. Below her right ear a red blemish about the size of her upper thumb stood out from her pale skin. Ella's face burned with fervent heat from the memories of Kit's lips lingering as he softly sucked against her skin where the mark now rested. Several moans had escaped Ella's mouth at that point and they only intensified as he moved from the lingering spot down to her collarbone, his silken lips tantalizing her. She'd come to grips with herself when he'd reached her collarbone, realizing he had entered very private territory. She'd stopped any further advances but it had been incredibly hard to pull away when she wanted nothing more than for him to keep going.

Ella had no experience when it came to men but she knew that what Kit had done to her last night, this mark he had left on her neck, was a serious action based off Prudence's reaction. But it had felt so wonderful, she inwardly sighed. Still, from the offended expression of Prudence, Ella couldn't help but think she had allowed Kit to do something she shouldn't have.

"Um… that is…" she flustered, not knowing what to say.

"Lady Ella, where did that come from?" Prudence asked, narrowing her eyes.