Chapter 33 - Expected the Unexpected

Kit was content. He and Ella had spent the entire morning and afternoon completing a treasure hunt of sorts that he had put together, each piece leading up to a present. The first gift was found in the library (a white and gold bound book filled with classic fairytales), the second was discovered in the attic (a sewing kit made up of gold tools and the finest threads in the land), and the third a lovely wooden home for the mice and Mr. Lizard out in the garden. Ella had been positively thrilled with everything Kit had given and with each present she bestowed a gentle kiss and a warm embrace.

Ella was sitting on a stone bench next to Kit, her fingers intertwined with his. "This has been the best birthday I've ever had," she sighed.

Kit smiled, kissing the side of her head. "I'm glad. But the day is not over; there is still more to come."

"How could there possibly be more?" Ella wondered. "You've already given so much, Kit. Just being with you is good enough for me and yet you continue to shower me with such fine things."

"You deserve it," Kit said simply, shrugging. "I want to shower you with things because I love you, Ella. I know that the greatest thing to give you is my time and I will give it but is it not alright if I continue to give you physical things every once in a while?"

She smiled sheepishly. "Of course it's alright. I'm just not used to being pampered."

Kit laughed. "I'm afraid that is how your life is going to be from now on."

"Because I'm going to be queen?"

Kit shook his head. "No. Because you are to be my wife. Ella, even if I were a popper I would do everything in my power to make you feel as if you were more precious than gold for that is what you are to me."

She searched his eyes, her face filled with tenderness. "I love you Kit. You truly are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

"As you are to me," he muttered, gently rubbing her face with his thumb. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Peter appear, signifying that everything was ready inside. After distracting Ella with a kiss, he pulled away from her and stood, extending his hand. "Will my fair lady accompany me back into the house?"

"If you can call it a house," Ella laughed, accepting his hand just as Peter disappeared back inside before she could notice.

The sun was beginning to set now, the lovely reddish orb low on the horizon, bathing the world around them in fine hues of gold. Kit's heart skipped a beat the closer they drew to the house. If all had gone according to plan, Rhoswen had decorated the interior of the cottage and the special guests (Alistair, Peter, his wife Jane, Rhoswen, and the animals) would all be present for a small family party. Kit would have invited Prudence as well but someone had to be in charge of the palace while Kit and Alistair were away and who better than to man the fort than she?

"What's next on the agenda, Mr. Kit?" Ella teased when they were about to go inside.

Kit grinned. "You'll just have to find out."

He then pushed open the door and immediately was surprised to find a man with greenish tinged skin, white hair, and green hands staring at them with large somewhat frightened eyes. "Oh!" he squealed, leaping a little before taking off his hat and bowing to the two. "Miss Ella, Your Majesty."

Ella let out a delighted gasp while Kit looked confused. Who was this?

"Mr. Lizard!" Ella cried, letting go of Kit to hug the man.

Kit stared. Mister… Lizard?

"How lovely it is to see you again in this form," Ella continued, holding the strange man's hands. "You look positively dashing just like the night of the ball!"