Chapter 6 - Ball Scene

Her warm smile lit up his soul. Kit couldn't believe it. She had come! Exhaling a breath of pure joy, he twisted around as he saw her begin to descend the stairs.

"Excuse me," he said to the Princess Chelina, inclining his head. He faintly heard the Grand Duke apologizing to the princess but he didn't care. His maiden was here and the only thing that mattered was reaching her side as soon as he could.

At the bottom of the steps he took a moment to compose himself. He couldn't very well go skipping out onto the dance floor. He needed to be somewhat dignified. Taking a couple of breaths, he straightened himself and turned the corner that would lead him into the ballroom. He couldn't help the satisfied smirk on his face as a wave of triumph washed over him. His hope had been restored. By the end of the night, he would have secured the hand of his maiden for he was sure she would enchant his father and the Grand Duke!

He stepped into the ballroom the second the fair lady finished her descent on the steps. He smiled joyfully as he let out a breath at the sight of her beauty. Her glorious brown eyes searched the crowd until she saw him. Kit felt like they were the only ones in the room. His feet propelled him towards her and he was pleased to see she was happily going to meet him halfway. The people parted but Kit only had eyes for her. They stopped before each other and Kit thought his heart was going to fly out of his chest.

"Mr. Kit," she said with a radiant smile.

Kit's whole soul soared. "It's you… isn't it?" he asked, reveling in her beauty.

"Just so," she replied, shrugging her shoulder ever so slightly.

He found her positively adorable. Staring into her eyes, taking in her countenance, he couldn't believe he had been foolish enough to mistake her for a mere maiden. She was clearly a princess for she radiated with the grace of royalty. He could only assume she was dressed as she had been in the woods to have a moment of reprieve without being waited upon by her servants. What she must think of him! And yet here she stood, her eyes filled with adoration solely for him. He couldn't fathom it.

Shaking his head, dazed, he whispered adoringly, "Your Highness…" – he took a deep breath – "If I may… that is…" – What was he trying to say? – "…it would give me the greatest pleasure if you would do me the honor of letting me lead you through this…the first…." Words failed him. She was positively stunning. He had become lost in the earthy pools of her eyes.

Searching his face, a fascinating smile climbed her thin cheeks. "Dance?" she prompted.

"Yes," he breathed, remembering himself, laughing sheepishly, "Dance. That's it."

She nodded her head eagerly. Kit regained his bearings and wrapped his hand around her thin waist, resting it against her back. The two stepped closer together. She let out a small gasp before smiling at him. The music began and the two started to sway.

At the first spin, she looked at him with wide eyes. "They're all looking at you," she said a little breathlessly.

"Believe me, they're all looking at you," he said with a charming smile.

As he guided her around on the dance floor, he felt as if he were soaring amidst the clouds. Her touch was light and her elegance superb as she followed his lead. Twirling her around, he heard her small pleasurable intakes of breath and his eyes danced with amusement. He drew her close to him producing yet another gasp. Getting lost in the euphoria of having her so near, Kit guided her around the room, their dance extending in a large circle. She was an amazing dancer.