Chapter 20 - The Next Grand Duke

Original Author's Note : LOTS OF FLUFF (and things getting a little bit steamy) IN THIS CHAPTER! :3

o0o0o

"Are you feeling any better?" Ella asked after a while. The two had spent the last few minutes in silence, Kit resting his head in her lap as she ran her fingers through his hair.

Kit couldn't deny it was one of the most amazing feelings in the world. His eyes closed, he answered, "I feel significantly lighter than I have all day thanks to you."

He peeked just in time to see her smile. "I'm glad. But don't think I expect you to suddenly be as right as rain – you can't force happiness when mourning someone."

"How did you manage to keep going, Ella? Did you not have days like this where you wanted nothing more than to wallow?"

"Of course I did," she admitted sadly. "But I couldn't afford to. As I've said, when the household was dismissed my stepmother had me do all the work under the ruse of calling the tasks distractions."

Kit sighed. "I feel as if I am pathetic."

"You can't compare our situations, Kit."

"But it seems highly unfair that I get to grieve and you did not."

She shrugged. "Sometimes we are given burdens that may seem unfair and undeserved. It's the way of life. Though it was wrong what my stepmother did, the experiences I endured allowed me to put my mother's counsel of courage and kindness to practice."

"I would say you are the master when it comes to those things," Kit complimented.

"Oh no," she chided gently, "I fear I have a long way to go before being a master."

Kit paused in thought. "Well, if our way of ruling the kingdom is courage and kindness, then we have a lifetime to figure out how to master those things, don't we?"

She lightly laughed. "You have a point."

Sighing, Kit closed his eyes while Ella went back to playing with his hair. "Ella…?"

"Hmmm?"

"I need your help with something."

"What is it?" she asked gently.

Kit looked up at her and frowned. "I need to appoint someone to be the Grand Duke."

Her fingers froze. "You made a decision."

Kit nodded, knowing she was silently asking about her stepfamily. "Captain Alistair finished his investigation a little earlier than expected. He gave me all of the paperwork yesterday. I spent a great deal of the evening hours going through every document he'd gathered. I made my decision before dinner."

"Is that why you appeared so subdued?" she asked.

"Partially," he admitted. "I began missing my father when I was festering over what to do. He always seemed to know so it was hard not being able to ask his advice."

Ella was silent for a moment. "Do you feel good about your decision?"

Kit sat up and looked her straight in the eye. "I do. It was difficult, Ella, but I feel that I've come to the right conclusion concerning those who have wronged us. That aside, I now have a new predicament, one I can't seem to face alone."