Chapter 27 - Reminiscing

The fifth division had done a grand job at creating an atmosphere of privacy for Kit and Ella. Kit barely remembered they were even with them as Ella happily led him through the stone archway into the back garden. A thrill ran through him as he remembered this spot was where he'd asked Ella to marry him. He noticed Ella happily trail her hand along the stone while unconsciously humming A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes. Kit smiled, listening to her beautiful voice.

It was in the middle of her humming that the song of a bird joined in and if Kit didn't know any better, he could have sworn it was chirping the same tune as Ella. A light giggle escaped his love and she glanced up at a tree branch. A bluebird sat on the tree, its head tilted slightly to the side as it fluffed its wings.

"There you are," Ella said sweetly, holding up a finger. The bird left the tree branch immediately, fluttering down onto it. It chirped up at her. "I've missed you too! I am sorry I left without saying goodbye." The bird chirped again, turning its head towards Kit. "Oh, this is Kit. He's the king."

Kit smiled as the bluebird expanded its wings and bowed towards him. Even though he'd seen the other animals in Ella's company perform such an act, it was still astounding to him to see such intelligence displayed. He was gracious, however, hiding his surprise. "You honor me, Mister Bluebird," he said kindly.

The bird chirped up at him before nuzzling its head against Ella's thumb. Ella laughed again. "He likes you."

"Does he now?" Kit asked, grinning. "I'm glad."

"He's a little shy," Ella continued. "He's never been around royalty before."

"Ella, how do the animals know how to act around royalty?" Kit wondered, unable to stop himself from asking.

Ella smiled fondly, her eyes glassing over in memory. "I used to read all kinds of books to my father. The animals would listen in. Some of my favorite reads have to do with princes and princesses. I suppose they learned the etiquette from that."

"I see," Kit muttered. "So, you like to read fairytales?"

Ella blushed. "Happy endings are my favorite sort."

Kit grinned as an idea for one of the many presents he was going to give her on her birthday came to mind. Wrapping his arm around her waist, he gently squeezed her. "They're my favorite kind to read too."

Just then a second bluebird appeared, the plumage more brown than blue, signifying this to be the male's partner. Though the two were drastically different in color, both were equally beautiful. The female landed on Ella's wrist, chirping up at her.

"I wondered where you were," Ella smiled, rubbing her finger gently over the female's head. "I was just about to tell your husband that Kit and I would love for the two of you to come live with us at the palace. There is a positively lovely greenhouse you can stay in. It's quite warm and will definitely protect you during the winter. And when spring returns, you can live in the palace gardens."

The female looked to Kit before bowing as well with expanded wings. Then she surprised him by fluttering onto his shoulder and nuzzling her head against his cheek. "Um, hello," he muttered, not knowing what else to do.

Ella let out a lovely giggle. "I think she likes you."

"What gave that away?" Kit chuckled, holding out his finger for the bluebird. She happily hopped onto it, her little feet wrapping around his flesh.

Ella smiled, turning back to the male. "So, what do you say? Would you like to come live with us?"

Both bluebirds chirped happily, hopping back and forth on the fingers which they rested.