Chapter 5 - Beginning of the Room Scene

Kit stood in his private chambers in silence. His outfit was classic white with swirling silver designs sewn into the jacket on either side of the silver buttons clasping it together in the middle. The collar and cuffs were a light blue, the silver designs ranging around it from one side to the other similar to those running down his chest. A silvery blue cravat covered his neck, tucked into the white jacket. His white breeches disappeared at the knee behind a pair of shiny black boots while a thin sword hung beside his waist attached to his belt. He turned this way and that, his long tailcoats moving a little as he glanced in the mirror.

He didn't necessarily feel stuffy; he was used to this kind of garb, though his other clothes were a little less formal than the one he now wore. This outfit had been tailored for one purpose: to make him stick out like a sore thumb in the crowd. His father wanted him to be as visible as possible. Why else would he have to wear an almost completely white outfit? When the tailors had shown the original completely white design to him a couple months ago, Kit had quite forcefully argued with his father that there needed to be some color to the outfit or else he would go mad. The tailors had grudgingly added the blue collar and cuffs. Kit was sincerely glad they had. Ever since his meeting with that girl in the woods when he saw blue he thought of her.

A small panic enveloped him and he had half a mind to run his hands through his slicked back hair; he didn't though for he didn't want to mess it up. Tonight was the night. Either he would find his mystery girl and charm his father or he would have to settle for a princess he didn't want. Kit felt like he was being choked. He was in a gilded cage, put on display for all to see, and he was required to pick another to join him inside it. He began pacing, taking several deep breaths.

"Breathe," he told himself. "Just breathe."

The sudden knock on the door nearly caused him a heart attack. He twisted around as it opened to find his father entering the room in a magnificent red jacket decorated in gold. The collar and cuffs were black with gold designs dancing across the fabric. A cream colored sash crossed his chest, the bottom handing off to the side of his hip. The tailcoats of his jacket hung behind him similar to Kit's, ending at his knees, his legs covered in a pair of sleek black pants.

"It is nearly time, my boy," he said as he strolled into the room. He looked him up and down before nodding appraisingly. "You look fit for the ball."

"As do you," Kit replied.

"Kit, what's wrong? You look like a frightened deer."

"Nothing is wrong, Father."

"Yes there is."

"No there's not."

"There is."

"There's not."

"There is."

"You're right," Kit sighed. He walked passed his father and sat down on the edge of his bed. "I'm nervous about tonight."

The king studied him a moment before walking over to sit down next to him. "Choosing a bride can be a difficult thing, son, especially after only one meeting but it isn't impossible. Who knows, tonight you may just be swept off your feet by the first princess you see."

"But what if you don't approve of my choice?" Kit asked.

The king put an arm around his shoulder and squeezed him to his side. "I will approve of the girl who will make my son happy. Though you may not immediately fall in love, if you are attracted to her and choose her because she is kind and good I will support you. I trust your judgment, Kit. I always have. Why do you think I love having you at all my state meetings?"