Chapter 31 - Unexpected Friends

"Try anything and the lady won't look as pretty as she does now."

Kit looked passed the sword to its bearer. The man who had spoken was surrounded by a slew of others, all of them dressed in loose shirts under tight vests, dark pants, and boots. Several had their scraggly hair hidden behind bandanas. All of them carried a wide variety of weapons but what scared Kit most were the few that held guns in their hands.

Ella's breathing hitched as she latched onto Kit, her form trembling a little. Several of the men were staring at her in a way that boiled Kit's blood. He tightened his grip around her and sent those who caught his eye a warning glance. This only deepened their lustful grins.

"On your feet, both of you," the one whose sword was now pointing to Kit's chest commanded. He was obviously the leader from the way the men looked to him. He also was the only one who wore a dark red jacket with yellow embroidery over his black vest and pants.

"If either of you scream, we'll gut you," a man threatened to Ella as both were seized and yanked apart.

"Kit!" Ella gasped, reaching for him.

"Unhand her at once!" Kit ordered, outraged. His outburst did him no favors as someone's fist slammed into his stomach, knocking the air out of him.

"No!" Ella shouted.

Fear of the men hurting her caused Kit to gasp out despite the pain, "Ella, I'm alright!"

Several men laughed over his predicament and Ella's futile struggles. Forcing Kit's hands behind his back, a man tied his wrists together while two other pairs of hands held onto his arms to prevent him from breaking free. Kit had no fear for himself but for Ella. His eyes widely looked around until he found her struggling as two men similarly tied her up.

What on earth were they going to do? These men were obviously brigands but the question was what were they after?

Kit tested the ropes around his wrists but found to his dismay that they were knotted well; too well to undo. These men were not amateurs. Ella's panicked eyes latched onto Kit's as the two were dragged away from the rocks, across the sand, and back into the trees out of the view of the cottage. If only Kit had something he could drop! That way Peter or one of the other soldiers could find them easier! Cursing his stupidity at not asking a couple of guards to accompany them to the rocks, Kit tried to put on a brave face for Ella, reassuring her with his eyes since he didn't dare speak.

As they reached the woods, a small clearing opened before them where a larger body of men sat waiting around a campfire.

"Well, well, well, what have you caught, Captain?" one of the men asked. He was also wearing a jacket though his was black while his vest was red.

"Two nobles," the Captain replied.

Kit's stomach recoiled as he witnessed the greedy expressions on the men's faces. Though grateful that they apparently didn't know who he was, he was still terrified over what they were planning to do with them. He'd heard countless tales of robbers stealing everything noblemen possessed before brutally killing them and he didn't even want to think of the stories involving women of nobility.

Deciding to be brave, Kit cleared his throat. "Gentlemen, if I may inquire, what exactly do you plan to accomplish with this kidnapping?"

The Captain rounded on him with a leering expression. "There are several avenues we can consider, noble filth."

Kit raised an eyebrow. Obviously from the way this man glared upon him, nobles had treated him poorly in the past. This didn't do Kit any favors, seeing as he was as noble as nobility could get. "May I ask one thing then, before you make a decision?"