Chapter 10 - The time of Mourning has passed

After Kit's rather jubilant performance of leaving his room in colorful clothing, the palace went into a frenzy. Prudence marched into His Majesty's study to demand just what it was he was up to. Kit was just finishing off the letter of his first decree when she swooped in.

"Ahhh, Prudence!" he cried happily, grinning at her. "I was just about to send for you."

The Royal House Keeper stilled. "Were you now? Whatever for, Your Majesty?"

"The time for mourning is passed, Prudence," Kit declared. "I want the drapes open, fresh flowers in the halls – preferably blue with small yellow accents – and the staff dressed in cheerful colors. Though the season is turning into autumn, I want the colors in the palace to be bright for at least a week. Can you make that happen?"

Prudence simply stared. "Of course I can," she muttered. "But… Your Majesty… has something… happened?"

Kit grinned. "Yes, my dear Prudence, something has. I am going to take a wife!"

"W-What?!" she spluttered. This was the last thing she had been expecting to hear from the new king. "But your father hasn't even been given the full amount of mourning you asked for."

"I asked for nothing," Kit corrected kindly. "I was too grieved to do so. The Grand Duke made that request not I. I say the mourning is over and therefore it is. It is time for a change, Prudence. It's been a while since a Queen has graced us."

Prudence frowned. She'd been the leading lady of the castle who kept things running ever since the late queen's death. She knew the rights to these things belonged to the Queen but she wasn't happy not knowing who would hold the title.

"May I be so bold as to ask who the lady is that has so captured the heart of our king?" she inquired.

Kit smirked and stood, holding up the long piece of parchment containing the royal seal. "This decree will answer that question, my lady. The announcement will be made today in the square, midday."

"And I and everyone else are to be kept in the dark until then?"

"Not everyone," Kit corrected with a smirk, enjoying the fact he was causing Prudence a little frustration. The woman was so fun to tease once in a while. "The Royal Herald, Captain Alistair, the Grand Duke, and you will know before that time."

Prudence's eyebrows rose. "I am to know?"

Kit chuckled as he walked around his desk towards her, carrying the Royal Decree. "Prudence, you are what keeps the castle running. My queen is greatly going to need your help so it is only fair that you know who she is before the others."

A miniscule grin crossed Prudence's face. "Very well, Your Majesty."

The doors to the study opened again and Captain Alistair – now sporting his bright blue uniform – the Grand Duke in his usual black, and the Royal Herald also wearing black entered the room. The Grand Duke and Herald looked confused but Captain Alistair was all smiles.

"I see the Captain has been notified of the change in attire," Kit said in good humor.

"Your Majesty, why are you not dressed in the color of mourning?" the Grand Duke wondered.

"The time for mourning has passed," Kit informed with a bright grin, "And my first decree as King has been made." He held it out to the Herald who took it with curious hands. "Please read it aloud, Nigel," he requested.

Nigel cleared his throat and began, "Know that our new king hereby declares his love for the mysterious princess who wore glass slippers to the ball and requests that she present herself at the palace whereupon, if she be willing, he will forthwith marry her with all due ceremony…" he trailed off, astonished.