Chapter 17 - Alistair, what have you managed to find?

Kit glanced at the clock on Ella's mantelpiece. It was close to one in the afternoon. He'd told Prudence and Captain Alistair to report to him around this time. Frowning, he pulled away from Ella and sighed. "I'm afraid that we're going to have to separate for a while, my darling."

"I'm sure you have duties to attend to," she muttered, the fear that she'd kept him to herself showing on her face.

Kit kissed her cheek and soothed her worries away. "Ella, my first duty will always be to you. I won't leave here until I know you're alright. I know that living with me is a huge change from what you have been used to. I want to be sure you're comfortable and that you don't feel pressured. Though you will have to have lessons to teach you what is expected of a queen, I promise your instructors will work at your pace and that you aren't expected to learn everything in a day. It'll take time and time, my darling, is well worth the wait concerning you."

Ella smiled gratefully. "You amaze me, you know."

"Oh? How so?"

"You just always say exactly what I need to hear."

"I'm glad," Kit said in relief, "for I fear that I ramble and stumble all over myself when it comes to you."

Ella giggled. "Oh no, you're very sophisticated to me. Your parents and instructors taught you well."

Kit grinned. "Your compliments cause me immense gratitude now for sitting through all those boring lessons, my lady, for I don't think you'd be fascinated if I were an illiterate king."

Ella lifted on her tiptoes and kissed him. "I love you, Mr. Kit," she whispered.

Kit felt like he wasn't touching the floor anymore. Grinning stupidly, he replied, "And I love you, my Ella."

She smiled. "So… what happens now?"

"Huh?" Kit muttered for he was still in a stupor. "Oh – uh – right, now… um, well, I propose that we both get ready for the day seeing as I'm dressed in a robe and trousers."

Ella's eyes involuntarily drew down to his exposed chest and she blushed deeply before averting her gaze. Kit inwardly chuckled. She was too cute. "How about I see you in an hour?" he suggested, looking at the clock. "I'll send a servant to escort you to my study since you don't know your way around the palace just yet."

"Alright," she agreed.

Walking over to the rope, Kit pulled it again and a servant immediately entered, almost as if she were waiting right outside the door. Kit recognized her. "Kristal," he said with a large smile. "How are you?"

The girl's eyes widened in surprise as she responded, "You remember me?"

"Of course," he said kindly. "As I recall, the last time we spoke you had just started working at the palace. How are you fairing? Is Prudence treating you well?"

Kristal nodded happily, "I am very happy here, Your Majesty. Miss Prudence is wonderful."

"I'm glad to hear it," Kit replied. "If you should have any problems, please voice them."

"Of course, Your Majesty," she said with a curtsy.

Kit glanced over his shoulder where Ella stood watching the exchange with curiosity. Grinning, Kit beckoned for Kristal to step further into the room. "Ella, darling, this is Kristal. I met her a few weeks ago."

Ella sent the girl a kind smile and inclined her head. "It's nice to meet you miss," she replied.

Kristal had heard of the queen to be but hadn't expected to see her dressed in – dare she say it – rags. Even the servant uniform Kristal was wearing was more elegant that what the future queen had on. She knew the mystery princess had turned out to be a servant girl and she had barely managed to get a glimpse of her as the king strolled passed with her in his arms earlier in the morning but she didn't think a servant could be dressed so poorly. Even so, it couldn't be denied that the Lady Ella was very beautiful. It was the kindness in her smile and the warmth in her eyes; they made her glow with an inner beauty.