Chapter 28 - Drama with a hint of Poison Tasters

Ella was upset. How could she not be? Kit was avoiding her. Well, at least it seemed like he was avoiding her. For the past four days she would see him in the morning for breakfast but after that she didn't see him at all. He didn't even stop by to kiss her goodnight and when she would see him the next day, he would appear so exhausted that he would hardly converse. Ella never had the heart to ask why he was being so elusive when she saw his current state so she would keep her feelings hidden under the surface, festering silently over her worried thoughts.

At first she was terrified he was no longer interested in her, that he considered the day of playing in the leaves to be entirely too childish but she dismissed this thought when she reflected on the way that day had ended. Kit had appeared sad when he'd kissed her goodnight and he'd assured her repetitively that he loved her. But the next day, he seemed so distant and this behavior had continued throughout the week. From the state of his fatigue, the only thing Ella could surmise was that his kingly duties were occupying all of his time.

He still gave her a gift every day, anything from jewels to flowers. The most recent gift from him was a large floral arrangement in the shape of a butterfly; she'd discovered it in her room after a particularly exhausting luncheon with several of the nobility. They'd crowded around her, pressing her for details about her life. Ella was kind, answering their questions politely even if she felt at times they may have been mocking her. Needless to say, it was a relief to get away for a spell. Hiding in her private chambers, she found the flowers and a smile lit her face.

Falling onto the bed, she sighed. The flowers rested near her pillows. Ella's hands (now softer thanks to special lotions Prudence demanded she rub on them three times a day) reached forward and lightly fingered one of the flower petals. The mice suddenly scurried onto her bed, squeaking happily up at her.

"They are lovely," she admitted, "but… oh Jacqueline, I feel so selfish! I love that Kit is still sending me gifts but… the gift I want him to give he hasn't bestowed in days. I don't believe I have upset him. I think he's just been busy being a king. I hate to say this but I wish he could take some time to spend with me like he had before. He seemed to be balancing things fairly well then but now I scarcely see him."

The concept of jealousy was new to Ella. She'd never been jealous of anything or anyone but now she found herself in competition for Kit's attention with the crown. Was this how it was always going to be? Was she hardly ever going to see him? She couldn't bear the thought! But how could she place another thing on his shoulders when he appeared so burdened? Her personal feelings shouldn't be added to his stress. She needed to learn to share him.

"It's just so hard," she muttered, frustrated. "I've never felt so… possessive! Even when father asked for another chance at happiness I wasn't as upset then as I am now. Why do I feel this way?"

She buried her head in her arms, lying on the bed, hoping these strange feelings would go away. A knock came before the door opened. The mice scurried away under her pillows.

"There you are!" Prudence's shrill voice cried as she strode into the room. "You're going to be late for your lessons today."

"Can I skip them?" Ella sighed, rolling over, her eyes on the floral butterfly.

Prudence noticed her gaze and frowned. Surprising Ella, the woman sat down on the bed beside her and rested a hand on her forearm. "Are you alright?"

Ella heaved a deep sigh again before sitting up and putting a smile on her face. "I'm fine."

Prudence's eyes narrowed. "My lady, you are a terrible liar."

Ella's lower lip trembled and a small wave of annoyance coursed through her. "I said I was fine, Prudence." Standing up, she smoothed the folds of her dress. "We should be on our way," she muttered, heading for the exit. "Punctuality isn't just the politeness of princes but future queens as well and it will not do if I show up late."