Chapter 35 - You left her alone

Kit could not believe his ears. He was staring at the young Count before him with a look of mild fury and indignation on his face as the man cowered under his glare. Rushing past him, Kit flung the doors open, startling the guards on either side. "Restrain this man until I return," he ordered them before practically running down the hall into the ballroom.

Slamming against the balcony above, his eyes wildly combed the crowd looking for Ella, his heart hammering in his chest. She had to be here! Count Welling's confession couldn't be true! His distress was noticed by Peter at once, the young Captain of the Guard rushing up to him. Before Kit could speak a word, Peter confessed what he had been dreading to hear.

"Sire, I've been looking everywhere but it would seem that the Lady Ella has disappeared."

"What?!" Kit cried, his heart constricting. Grabbing Peter around the shoulders, he shook him slightly. "When did you last see her?"

They were drawing attention to themselves. Alistair swooped in, clearing his throat. "Perhaps this should be taken care of away from the eyes of the public?"

Kit glanced down at the ballroom where several people had clearly heard his shout and were staring up at them whispering in confusion. Twisting on his heel, Kit marched out of the room. The second they were in the hallway, he rounded on the two men. "Ella must be found at once!"

"I have every guard searching for her, Sire," Peter began but Kit spoke over him.

"How could you have allowed her out of your sight?"

Peter's countenance fell. "I am sorry, Your Majesty. There are so many people here. It would be fairly easy for the lady to leave without notice."

Kit couldn't think straight. They didn't understand. They had to find her before…

"Kit!"

Kit whirled around as a man he hadn't seen in years came thundering towards him. "Phillip?"

"The very same," the Prince of Sicily grinned.

"As much as I would like to speak with you, my friend, I don't have time –" Kit began.

"I should think you would, seeing as I just saved your lady from nearly being assaulted by a scoundrel," Phillip said, cutting him off.

Kit gasped. "What?"

Phillip's handsome features darkened. "I think I got there in time but what she needs most right now is you. I'll take you to her."

"You left her alone?" Kit demanded as the two barreled out of the nearest exit to the gardens with Alistair and Peter trailing along behind them.

"I figured she would be safe until I fetched you," Phillip huffed. "And a thank you would be more appreciated than an accusation you know."

"Thank you," Kit snapped as he ran down the steps, taking them two at a time. "But how do you know he wouldn't return the second you disappeared?"

"I believe I was persuasive enough to keep him from pursuing any further attempts."

Kit snorted. "Of course. I couldn't expect Lord Duherst to stick around if his life was in danger; the coward!"

"You know the identity of your lady's attacker?" Phillip asked, surprised. "How?"

"It's a long story," Kit growled as they thundered down the path Phillip had pointed out which would lead them to Ella. Finally Kit saw her, his precious Ella, standing in the grass, her arms wrapped around her body. "Ella!" he cried, rushing to her.

"Kit?" she gasped, her wide brown eyes filling with renewed tears.

Kit wrapped her in his arms, feeling her tremble uncontrollably against him as sobs escaped her throat. "Ella," he whispered, holding her, "I'm here… I'm here."