Chapter 3 page 2 - The Chase

I enter into the school compound, being greeted by a barking security dog on a leash that cringes me. I edge away from the dog and begin the scouting, covering my search perimeter from the basketball courtyard, to the gazebo and canteen. I stop my search when I find Hussaini by the artificial zen pond garden attempting some stone skipping across the pond water.

"Hey," I call out to him and he responds by craning his neck towards me.

He frowns. "Where's mommy?"

"She can't make it," I answer crisply. "I'm here to pick you up and take you home."

"No!" he protests. "I'm not going home with you!"

"If you want her to pick you up, you'll have to wait here until 8.00 at night. Do you want that?" I explain which obviously is unacceptable for him.

"I'll stay here then. I'm not going home with you," he bends forward to the ground and collects a few more scattering pebbles on the ground.

"Stop being defiant!" I chastise.

"Piss off!" he shouts and threw his first pebble at me.

He tosses a few more pebbles at me but I manage to move away, and he misses it. Then he goes on persistently aiming a few more on my head, body, and legs. As much as I try to duck myself from the attack, I endure more of it than what I can dodge. And just like the nerf gun bullet, it is damn painful.

I edge closer to him while he takes a few steps backwards, getting ready to dash off when his ammunition finishes. He retreats himself before quickening his pace to run away from me. I shift my few long quick strides into sprints, running after him on a Tom and Jerry chase around the school compound starting from the canteen to the passageway along the lower ground classrooms, and back into the basketball court. Some of his schoolmates spectate us with amusement.

My jerking breath is catching up as my legs throttle, feeling the heat rises in my lungs that chokes me up hard. As much as I garner my energy to outrun him, I fail miserably. Turns out Hussaini is a greater sprinter than me.

Hussaini reaches by the entrance of the school to escape but the security dog by the gate growls loudly at him, barring its sharp teeth. Then, it barks at him like an authoritarian, stalling his pace by its intimidation. This gives me the opportunity to catch him from behind while he squirms rigorously in my arms, demanding to be released.

I secretly thank the dog. Had it not interfered with us, Hussaini could have run away into more dangerous perils of the city, either getting kidnapped or being run over by moving vehicles on the busy streets.

"Fuck off! I hate you!" he chants this vile mantra several times in my arms, pounding his fist relentlessly on my chest. But moments later, his angry rants turn into a few sobs and bawls. "I hate mommy! Why is she not coming? She doesn't want me like daddy!"

"No, kid. She's busy," I pant.

"No! She's lying. She hates me!" His wailing attracts one of his teachers to come to our aid and check us up.

 She hates me!" His wailing attracts one of his teachers to come to our aid and check us up

Like what you've read so far? Don't forget to 

Photo sourse : www.gifer.com