Chapter 21 page 4 - The Gossip

"Hey, I can come to the race and be your cheerleader. You need a spirit boost for this evening," I offer another friendly gesture to make it up to him.

Saint laughs at this idea. "You're already my cheerleader for the day, Sofia. But stay here and get some rest. Norma's been abusing you too much throughout the Breakout, you deserve the evening to yourself."

"Saint, I'm destined to work for a ruthless manager like her. I'm already used to it," I defend.

"If there's any dispute between you two, you should sort this matter out with HR," Saint advises. "There's nothing wrong with fighting for your rights as an employee."

"It is easier said than done especially when the Head of Human Resource is her lunch buddy," I state my stand. "Otherwise, I'd be happy to squeal that she had one too many slip-ups in the office unknown by your boss."

"Really? What sort of slip-ups?" Saint muses to my gossip.

"Did you know that there's no resolution passed at TWIB BOD on Mr. Basheer's appointment as a new director of TWIB?" I cite one example.

"Sorry, I'm not following you," Saint forms a deep furrow in his brow. "His appointment was approved at TWB BOD Group level, under the holding company's discretion. I thought that'd be suffice."

"True, but it's still invalid without TWIB BOD's decision to take note of TWB BOD's approval. Companies Commission Federation (CCF) can only validate his appointment with TWIB BOD's decision," I clear up the misconception. "But she overlooked on this matter and submitted an extract of TWIB BOD's resolution on Mr. Basheer's appointment to CCF when no such resolution exists to begin with. That's violating the Act."

Saint tries to digest my explanation for a moment before looks at me in disbelief.

"So, you're saying that Basheer's appointment is void and she falsified a document to satisfy CCF's requirements? That's a serious offence, isn't it? Did you not tell this to the Management?"

"That's shooting myself in the foot, Saint," I frown. "You can't get away with office politics in Malaysia. It's inevitable, even at Taylor-Willis. If we were to report it to them, Madam Norma will use her connection at the Bank to dodge the bullet so the rest of us will take the hit. Her subordinates will be answerable to the mess she created, not her.

"So, what's the point of exposing this to them when we know what we're getting? It's not like they'll take this matter to CCF and bust us out. So, it's best to succumb ourselves to that
woman or else our performance appraisal will be compromised."

Saint clicks his tongue in disapproval.

"I don't think that's a fair way to do it," he grunts like he used to when he was a boy interrogating me over something he wasn't able to grasp and I supplied him with sufficient information until he was fully content.

"No, it isn't but it has been like this for generations," I sigh as I reveal this truth. "The affluent, C-suites, politicians, the whole yards. They'll always have their ways to something they want even though it's wrong. And the lower rank mercenaries within the chain of commands will have to deal with their superior's shit eventually.

"So, our KPIs are all that we have right now to sustain inside the Bank and get good bonuses. To be honest, I'm currently saving every 10% of my monthly salary for this Doc Martens' black Victorian floral printed boots that I've been dying to get my hands on. So, the bonus from my KPI could be useful for a little boost."

I yawn, my words begin to trail off from the drowsiness that sways me. I ask Saint to get himself ready for the run and to wake me up when he returns from the marathon for supper.

"'Kay", he utters in a heavy tone, still digesting my disturbing revelations as he pushes himself off the bed and onto the floor.

"Saint," I call out while watching him retrieve his towel from the closet.

"Yeah," he says softly.

"Thank you... for rescuing me from a bad solo trip," I say to an almost whisper.

Saint mumbles something and pads into the shower room. I can't make up to what he said due to my sleepy state, but I swear I hear him calling me 'Sayang' once again.

 I can't make up to what he said due to my sleepy state, but I swear I hear him calling me 'Sayang' once again

Like the chapter so far? Don't forget to

Photo source - https://www.freepik.com/photos/heart'>Heart photo created by freepik - www.freepik.com