Chapter 14 page 2 - Departure

2015

"Hello, thank you for choosing ShipGoUK as your trusted delivery companion," Chris forced the scripted greetings running through his mouth with a deadpan voice.

"You can drop the formalities with me," I leaned by the door frame, trying to catch his sullen eyes. "Your mafia boss isn't around to check up on you."

"You ordered for a pickup of two midi boxes to Kuala Lumpur?" he ignored my comment and averted his eyes towards the clipboard he was holding.

I let out a long sigh before responding, "They're inside."

I led him into my room like I did when we were lovers with a vastly different feeling this time. Chris hastily carted his two-wheel hand trolley into the room to collect the promised boxes with my belongings in. He loaded the first box before returning for the second.

"How many more houses do you need to visit?" I mustered a conversation.

"Well, you're the last one," he said curtly, resuming his work in silence.

"It's my last day today. My flight back to KL is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon," I went on.

"Good to hear," Chris shrugged at this piece of information that wasn't relevant to him. His impassiveness caused me to flushed with embarrassment.

"I'll miss you the most," I sighed. "I know I've been a total jerk and I don't deserve someone with a heart of gold like you but I admit that you are special. All the time we spent is something I want to remember forever."

"Stop talking bullshit, Sofia," he scoffed, unable to remain formal. "If you can't commit to anything you say, just don't say it."

He was right. My words weren't the best for reconciliation but when you're at fault, anything you say becomes meaningless.

"I was just trying to fix us –"

"What is there to fix?" he snapped. "The damage is done, you can sort your shit out yourself and I don't want to be involved with it."

His resented words sent straight to my heart like a jagged dagger. I paused and tried to find a more appropriate answer to rebut Chris but none of them produced something solid to justify what I did was acceptable. And I knew that the more I defend myself, the more mess I'd create.

"Sorry for my rudeness. I shouldn't be meddling with my clients' personal matters," he shrugged off before handing me the consignee form clipped on the board. "Please sign here."

I signed on the dotted line before returning the form and watched him leave the house with much haste. Despite the cold winter draft rushing into the passageway as I shut the door, the warmth from the recent heated conversation had set me on fire.

I slowly crouched on the floor, feeling the tears trickling down my cheeks with no control. I just want the earth to eat me alive, I don't think I deserve to live. I just blew my chances of having good men like Chris or Aleks or Dan that I don't think I'm worthy of any man that comes after.

Just as I was nursing my agony away, sudden raps at the door startled me that I swiftly tugged it open to find scornful Chris behind it.

"How dare you play with my feelings like this? I hate you!" he bellowed angrily.

"Chris, I'm sorry–"

Before I could finish, he grabbed me by my nape and presses his cold lips against mine. My heart skipped in random beats while my senses perked in delight.

"I still love you, Sofia," Chris muttered in our embrace. "Please don't go."

Like the chapters so far? Don't forget to ⭐

Photo source - Tumblr & Stocksy