Chapter 20 page 1 - Board Breakout

Madam Norma strutted out of the Penang International Airport's arrival hall while I followed her from behind. I wheeled our loaded suitcases in the luggage trolley like a weary servant to a malevolent lady boss. We were then greeted by two TWIB regional officers at the entrance hall before being ushered into a white Toyota Alphard and exited the airport.

The regional officers had warned us about the peak hours and its anticipated traffic congestion that would cause a 30 minutes' journey to the resort to be an hour and half. We were also informed that a couple of Directors had arrived at the resort an hour before, and the Corporate Comms team was there since morning assisting them with the check-ins. Madam Norma accepted the news with a slight discontentment as she preferred to be present when they arrived, just to be seen as responsible. I however, oblivious by the news but to gaze out of the window, observing the promised traffic that slowed us down.

Coined as the 'Pearl of the Orient', Penang Island is situated in the north region of Malaysia is brimming with fusion of urban and old-world Asian civilisation from its palm fringed beaches to its bustling city life nestled within the diversified cosmopolitan George Town, its main city.

I enjoyed the passing scenery of this city centre gradually transitioned into commercial lots, followed by the residential towns and seaside settlements, before we finally reached Garden Springs Resort and Spa.

The luxury five-star resort had got me astounded with its majestic façade and garden-themed establishment. Other than its lavish lodging and facilities, it is surrounded with posh cultivated and manicured jungle gardens encircling the pool areas, pathways and in between the room balconies forming an Instagrammable view from vantage point. The lounge area facing out to the sea lured me to appreciate a picturesque canvas beyond the garden scenery.

The exuberant modern setting of the main lobby wing embellished with myriads of ornamentation from diversified Malaysian heritages but the gorgeous money tree sculptures by the waiting area caught my attention the most.

I wished to take full advantage of the island and the resort since I couldn't afford to stay here at my own expense. But my appreciation for their profound beauty was cut short by Madam Norma's pesters just as I set my foot into the lobby. Moreover, Head of Corporate Comms, Ms. Zaira alerted us of Saint's sudden demands for the CoSec team earlier this afternoon had exacerbated Madam Norma's agitation.

"Were any Directors or Dato' Bahadin asking for me?" Madam Norma quizzed.

"Nope, they went straight to their rooms of their own accord," Ms. Zaira informed.

"Hussaini already has our flight schedule prior. What was he anxious for?" Madam Norma grunted.

Sarra, who also joined the BOD Breakout committee crew, shrugged to the question. "He didn't say what he was grumbling for, he was just fidgeting over your absence."

"We should've booked the morning flight instead, shouldn't we?" Madam Norma glared at me like the booking was my fault. It was her who urged me to take a later flight over some personal reasons, but I kept my mouth shut. It was futile to point out her absurdity in front of the Corporate Comms teams.

Saint came sauntering from across the hall, looking captivated in his navy-blue Fred Perry polo shirt, perfectly ironed khaki trousers, and white Alexander McQueen sneakers.

"Hello, ladies. How was your flight?" he greeted us in a jovial tone which contradicted to Ms. Zaira's earlier assertions.

I was overwhelmed by the scent of Tom Ford Oud Wood on his skin as he drew near while Madam Norma wasn't affected by his snazzy looks nor his cologne.

"Other than a bumpy ride and bottleneck traffic, it was fine," Madam Norma replied bitterly. "You were asking for the CoSec team earlier today?"

"Ensuring your safe arrival, that's all," he lounged on a sofa near us and flipped his iPhone. "I'll be joining the big boys for golfing while you ladies go freshen yourself up before the dinner."

Madam Norma and Ms. Zaira scowled at him in astonishment while Sarra and I exchanged looks. Feeling too tired to argue, we hesitantly adjourned to our respective rooms, preparing ourselves ready for the opening dinner.

Madam Norma began to shed her true colours which isn't favourable to our gain. She's more impetuous and inattentive rather than meticulous and caring. When every day at the office feels like imprisonment for us, imagine the entire two days of BOD Breakout Programme felt like having her around.

I caught Saint occasionally checking up on us whenever she threw a fit at me and humiliated me. Her commanding behaviour just to flaunt her superiority in front of the Directors and the Management, reminded me of my torturous accounts with Maheera during her wedding day, unnerved me by every session.

However, the teamwork displayed in Corporate Comms vastly differs from CoSec. I secretly envied at the way Ms. Zaira and Sarra cooperating with each other when handling the Directors' spouses' affairs and managed the opening and closing dinner together. They were like Amazonian sisters who subconsciously understood each other's tasks without verbally communicating.

Madam Norma and I were nothing like them. Whenever I broke down in weariness, I wished for Ms. Marian to come and rescue me from Madam Norma's gruelling ways. But then again, it was just a wishful thinking. I quash my desire and looked forward to Saturday.

Like what you have read so far? Don't forget to ⭐

Photo source - booking.com (Shangri-la Rasa Sayang Resort)