Chapter 26 page 2 - That Bitch

My jaw drops to her text and I reread it in disbelief. I'm struck with horror by her sudden capability of recognising me instantly. How does she know me? I don't put our wedding photos or Saint's publicly for anyone to see. Is it in my name?

Desperate for quick explanation, I call her straight away via the same app.

"What's your problem now?" the tone of a female voice in a thick Australian accent from the other line elevates in response.

'Why must it be a problem?' I say to myself.

"No, I don't have any problem with you. I just want to return the bag–"

"You think I'm a flammin' galah? You don't call me for that. You still want to pick a fight with me even after you nabbed my man!" she cuts of mid sentence.

"In what sense do I owe you a fight?" I debunk her immature accusation. "Yes, I am that bitch, but I don't steal him from you. You're the one who quit on him because of your precious career."

"My career is manageable, excuse me! I left him because he wants you back," she argues back.

"But that's not what he said," I hiss to avoid Saint from overhearing my stressed voice. "He loved you. He even tried to find time for you."

"And you believe him? Damn, you're such an idiot!" she ridicules me. "If he tried to find time for me, he should've show up to any of my events instead of making dumb excuses like watching some stupid play. I know he was with you every time he pulled out the last minute."

"But I thought–"

"If he loved me so much, he shouldn't be yapping about you in our every conversation, it sickens me to hear your fucking name all the time!" she roars.

As much as I'm annoyed by her interjection, I bet she's more resented by Saint's careless behaviour towards her.

"But he planned last year's Penang race for you," I defend.

"No! The Penang race was his breakup plan. God, you're so stupid!" she groans exasperatedly before ending the call.

I try to text her back for a settlement but she immediately blocked me for reconnection. This is unnerving. I was a happy mother-to-be with no repentance for me to brood over. Now, I'm unsure if I can maintain such feelings without thinking of what other secrets that Saint's been hiding me from.

Am I unwillingly became the third wheel, a spur to their frayed relationship? I'm not entirely mad at him for feeding me lies to win my heart, but for what cause? So, that his heart can be fulfilled? What about Anita's? Doesn't she matter to him?

Saint walks into the room, finishing the conversation while I force to regain my composure even though it's struggling.

"How's your mom doing?" I ask him softly after he ends the call.

"No, it's your mom," he replies casually.

I gape at him. I didn't usually bother when he had lengthy chats with Mom without putting me through, but this time I feel offended. It's an after effect from Anita's spiteful ranting on me.

"Doesn't she want to talk to me?" I ask in astonishment.

"She'll call you tonight," Saint assures. "She can't talk to you right now, Safwan's there. She might pour her emotions out if she hears your voice."

Saint's explanation is plausible, though. Mom has the tendency to bawl herself away over something sentimental, especially on me. And although I'm still not used to with Saint calling Dad by his first name, I don't object to his remarks either.