Chapter 15 page 1- Good Bosses Don't Stay

Note to readers

I have to explain this before you go straight to the chapters.

The chapters moving forward may seem heavy for some readers because it has elements of working adult and corporate organisation in it. But I'll try to enlighten you in brief about the persona's employer before you go deep into it. 

Taylor-Willis Bank Group (often being mentioned in this book as TWB or The Group) is a large corporate organisation that handles finances and banking stuff. TWB is a parent/holding company to 3 entities which are Taylors-Willis Islamic Bank (TWIB) that handles Islamic financing products, TWB International (International) that handles international trades and overseas clients, TWB Assurance (Assurance) basically handles insurance products.

So the persona works at the headquarter of TWIB.

Also, you'd come across Datuk or Dato' moving forward. Those aren't names, they're title or the prefix of a title given to a person upon being conferred with certain orders of honour. In other words, title of respect, like Sir and Dame. 

I hope this clarifies. I will explain further on the persona's department role but I'll mention that when we reach to that chapter.

So, enjoy!

2017

Datuk Mirzan's announcement on his resignation hits us with a blow. The CEO of Taylors-Willis Islamic Bank (TWIB), the humblest, down to earth man of a boss with a heart of a rakyat
(commoner) decided to leave TWIB was something that none of us could digest in seconds. The emergency town hall meeting concluded with sombreness and confusion silenced the usual animated TWIB staff as they exited the hall in uniformed streams.

The Corporate Secretarial (CoSec) Department became a cacophony of gossip chatters between me and my teammates as we advocated plausible theories of Datuk Mirzan's sudden resignation. Kak (Elder sister) Aisah, the Assistant Manager speculated that Datuk Mirzan had had enough of TWIB's office politics while my other two senior officers, Fauzi and Hasanah posited that the decision made was under a higher authority's purview.

When Ms. Marian, our Head of Department and TWIB's Company Secretary returned from her meeting with Group Company Secretary of Taylors-Willis Bank (TWB or the Group), she busted all of our conspiracy theories with a diplomatic explanation, "Datuk Mirzan isn't resigning though. It's just a rotational movement within the Group's top management instructed by the Group Board. Datuk Mirzan will oversee other portfolio, no longer Islamic."

"Then, why the resignation announcement?" Fauzi prod while the rest of us nodded to concur.

Ms. Marian pouted her lips, as though trying to seal an utmost confidential scandal revolving around top management under her custody.

"We'll ask him personally at his farewell," she answered carefully. "In the meantime, get the statutory docs prepared in accordance with the new Companies Act. We need to update our regulators i.e. the Central Bank of Malaysia, the Stock Exchange, Companies Commission Federation and Securities Commission Federation of the recent change when it becomes official. You know the drill. Okay, dismissed."

We resumed to carry out our designated tasks with our hearts still burdened by the news. Kak Aisah and Hasanah began exchanging memorable stories, commemorating Datuk Mirzan while Fauzi already had his informer at Corporate Communications (Corporate Comms) unit on speed dial, extracting any information worth sharing on the sudden development. I don't have many fond memories with him, but I had several occasions where he greeted me by the corridor like an old friend although I'm just a year old in this organisation.

I've always encountered good bosses that don't stay long. When one appalling news wasn't enough, the CoSec was shaken by the Group's abrupt decision to move Ms. Marian to Assurance the following month. We were devastated by news that not even Ms. Marian was excited by it.

We've always had reservations about the governance structure within the Group where all its entities including TWIB, TWB (International) and Assurance have no autonomous powers over its respective administrations. Perhaps, Datuk Mirzan's resignation somewhat correlated to her sudden movement that she wasn't able to spit out the whole truth without revealing hers.

After the post for TWIB's Company Secretary was left vacant for a month, we sailed our vessel loosely without a captain. Our department's day to day operations were significantly impacted when none of the statutory documents and Board's decisions that we issued were valid due to the absence of Company Secretary's endorsement. And Kak Aisah wasn't in her best position to lead CoSec either because of her constant sick and emergency leave that we grew accustomed to.

But when the rumours about the CEO of International to occupy Datuk Mirzan's vacant office have confirmed and he brought his team with him including the Company Secretary to replace Ms. Marian, we were overwhelmed with mixed reviews.

Like the what you've read so far? Don't forget to ⭐

Photo source - https://www.heidelbergcement.com/en/dataran-maybank-malaysia