Chapter 6 page 3 - The Talk Part 2

"Your parents, are they alright? Are they still in Kabul?" I change the topic.

Her tired eyes soften by these questions. "Both of them passed away last year."

Shit! I just made it worse by asking about her parents. "Oh, sorry. I didn't mean–"

"C'mon, Sofia. It's okay. I never mentioned them to you," she winks at me as assurance.

"Did they die of old age?" there's no way I should abort this conversation smoothly without braving for another question.

"They both were killed by the Taliban insurgents a couple of weeks before the 9-11 attack," she explains and before I could ask further, she carries on, "Just like Malaysia, Afghanistan is a multiracial country with Pashtuns, Uzbeks, Tajiks and Hazaras. I'm Hazara and we're the minority group. The Taliban raided my parents' homes and put an end to it..."

Her voice trails off but doesn't show any sign of grief either. She's still smiling when she tells me this. I'm absolutely amazed by how she manages to control her emotions from all of these unfortunate events, the divorce, the struggle of being a single mom and the death of the parents. I'd be going insane if it was me.

"Ms. Mohammadi, I'm so sorry for the loss and for asking you such questions," is all that I could muster.

Her temperate expression turns scornful as she raises her index finger at me, "What did I tell you about calling me Ms. Mohammadi? And secondly, stop apologising. It's not your fault. I should be thanking you for bringing that up because I've been so busy that I forgot to pray for them. I think I should, you know?"

There's so much more that I wanted to ask like why the Taliban killed her parents? Just because they're Hazaras? Were there any racial tension? But I rather bank those questions in my mind for some other day. Sabina looks exhausted from work and not to mention, responding to all of my heated questions in one night.

"Mommy, are you sending Kak Sofia home for being naughty?" Saint approaches the dining table with a mischievous smile plastered on his face.

"Nope, her mom agrees that she stays with us tonight and yes, I've already scolded her for it," Sabina winks at me.

"Cool, she can tell me bedtime stories then," he suggests, almost like asking permission.

"Can you give Kak Sofia a break? Besides, you're too old for bedtime stories, ain't it?"

"It's okay. I don't do much around the house. I'd be glad to put him to bed," I permit.

Sabina hesitantly agrees to this as Saint drags me out the kitchen.

Halfway towards his room, Saint whispers in my ear, "I want a bedtime story with Britney Spears in it."

I think I know where he's going from here and he's just pushing his luck.

"Mommy!" I call Sabina out from the hallway and Saint hushes me frantically.

Like the chapters so far? Don't forget to

Photo source Ghazni Stadium : Wikipedia